MTD snow blower OEM-190-032

b1mmuo27

Threads
I have used the blower twice now with the same thing happening. It starts blowing the snow fine then slowly the snow turns to slush & the blower just freezes up. I think I figured it out yesterday the the exhaust from the tractor is heating up the back of the blower slowly heating the snow to slush. I remember something about a heat shield but don't see one in the blower manual. Could this be the problem?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could fabricate a heat shield from a piece of tin roof etc. so long as it does not interfere with tractor engine intake of air.

b1mmuo27

Threads
Thanks. I did weld one together with a piece of 16 gauge steel. There was a rod in place where it is suppose to go sitting there. It doesn't interfere with the dual exhaust at the bottom. There is actually a heat shield for it but I guess the guy I bought it from didn't need one for his tractor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can see why you are having problems even though it seems like the fresh snow would keep the blower frame cool enough. Now my tractor and blower blows the exhaust out to the side. With all that exhaust fumes out in front of the tractor doesn't the exhaust fumes bother you when you are using it? It just seems like it would be better to re rout the exhaust.

b1mmuo27

Threads
No problem with the exhaust gases with the heat shield on. I guess it was designed that way. The tractor is 15 years old. As I said the heat shield is available but $75 too expensive. I built one with a piece of 16 gauge steel.