exmark Quest PTO will not engage.

kaju

Threads
My 2012 Quest was running fine one day. the next day I went out to use the mower and it cranked up fine and was running but the PTO would not engage. I turned off the engine, turned the key on but not crank it. I could hear the metallic click coming from the rear. I restarted the engine but the PTO still would not engage. But after trying a few times when I pulled up the switch to engage the PTO and the engine died. I do not know if this is related or not. I tried to restart the engine but it will not crank. the starter will spin but the engine will not fire. Usually if it is a safety issue the starter will not spin. Say if the PTO switch was pulled up the starter will not spin.
So do I have two unrelated problems or are they related and if so Please tell me what to look for?
Thank you in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two distinct safety systems.
One prevents the engine from turning over.
This is to protect the starter as much as the user.
The other kills the spark

kaju

Threads
Two distinct safety systems.
One prevents the engine from turning over.
This is to protect the starter as much as the user.
The other kills the spark

Thank you for your response. But what about the PTO? and How do I figure out what is wrong and why it wont engage so I can repair it? Thank you again in advance.

kaju

Threads
Thank you. As soon as I get good weather and I am not at work I will look into this and get back with you to let you know.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the PTO is in the on position the engine will not crank
If the PTO is in the on position & the seat switch registers no operator present it will not crank
All of the safety systems go through the PTO switch.
Verify the clutch by hot wiring it at the plug near the clutch.
Otherwise you are looking at the clutch itself or the wiring to the plug you just hot wired from.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a worn out battery it can be the cause. Or, a bad charging sytem. The PTO sucks a lot of juice from the battery.

Also check the PTO itself. Sit and activate it. If you here a click, that means the PTO is fine itself I believe.