I think I narrowed down my tractor choice

RJL1

Threads
I think I've narrowed down my choice of tractors to two models. The first is a Craftsman Pro Series 24 HP V-Twin Kohler Elite 46" Turn Tight Extreme Riding Mower and the second is a John Deere D140 48 in. 22 HP V-Twin Hydrostatic Front-Engine Riding Mower. Who makes the engine in the JD? Anyone with some knowledge on these two machines please give me your opinion, good and bad. Also if there is another model that you feel is better please advise. I was researching the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower as well. I have a little over an acre, some hills and moderate obstacles (trees). Plan on aerating, thatching, mulching and bagging.
I would have added a link to all three machines but I have no idea how to pull that off.

Thanks

Bob

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs & Stratton makes the engine for JD140. Have you considered going to a dealer & looking? Are you going to perform scheduled maintenance & repairs yourself? This is something you need to consider. I would take my time looking & do your research. Remember you get what you pay for, a dealer would be my choice. Turn around time for maintenance at a dealer is much quicker than purchasing from a big box store which takes at least two weeks.

RJL1

Threads
In the past I've done all maintenance and repairs within reason. (belts, mandrels etc.) To date I've had only Craftsman's tractors, both growing up and mowing my folks home and two at my homes. The Craftsman's I've had and used seemed to last about 10 years and then everything started to break and require maintenance at once. I'm leaning towards the Craftsman pro (the very tight turn radius has me very interested) but have always been very interested with the JD line of lawn tractors. Seems to be two completely different motors as well, a Briggs and a Kohler.

RJL1

Threads
Bump. Getting close. I want to buy one of the three in the next week or so. Any and all opinions welcome.

Thank you

Bob

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First take the Deere off your list.
Cub cadet Is a very well made mower. And the best on hills out of the 3 on your list.

The craftsmen is also a very good mower.
And the best choice if going to use attachments.

RJL1

Threads
What bout the "X" series of JD equipment. Its quite a bit more money than the "D" series. The "X" has a better frame and components than a "D" as well a Kawi motor. Is the Kawi motor that much better than a briggs or Kohler? I would fork over an additional grand or 1500 if the "X" lasted substantially longer than a "D" or a Craftsman for that matter with minimal issues. Is the "X" a "get what you pay for" piece of equipment?

Thanks

Bob

tbarnett

Threads
What bout the "X" series of JD equipment. Its quite a bit more money than the "D" series. The "X" has a better frame and components than a "D" as well a Kawi motor. Is the Kawi motor that much better than a briggs or Kohler? I would fork over an additional grand or 1500 if the "X" lasted substantially longer than a "D" or a Craftsman for that matter with minimal issues. Is the "X" a "get what you pay for" piece of equipment?

Thanks

Bob

From what I learned was that the majority of lawn tractors/riding mowers made and sold in the US are made by MTD or Husqvarna. Most of your lower end John Deere sold at the big box stores are made by MTD and sold under license of JD only. By the way MTD also builds & owns Cub Cadet. Husqvarna builds Craftsman, Ariens and other brands of lawn tractors/riding mowers. If you are interested with the John Deere brand I highly recommend that you go to a dealer and compare the product(s). The same applies with Husqvarna vs. Craftsman, etc.

Happy shopping!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not a fan of the Kawasaki engine. And would not spend the extra money.
As far as junk Deere goes no the X is not worth the money. You can get a better built mower for the same money. And just some info the D series mowers you get at the box store are the exact same one at the dealer.

As far as lawn/garden tractors go. Cub cadet is the best bang for the buck.

RJL1

Threads
Ok. So now I'm down to the cub cadet and the craftsman. Very similar in price with what I want as far as accessories. (Bagger, bumper, cart and or extended warranty) The Cub Cadet is about the same price as the Craftsman. I drove to the JD dealer, looked at the D140 and 130. Nice units, not impressed with the plastic hoods and the way the gas tank shakes around. Just looks like problems. I was talking to the salesman and he advised the JD's I was looking at have great trannys, the Craftsman's have a plastic tranny. Not sure WTF he was talking about. Anyway left the JD dealer and drove to our Sears store that has the exact mower I'm thinking about. I liked how sturdy it felt. Also liked the tight turn feature. Now the Cub Cadet keeps popping up in this conversation. When I looked at the JD and CC at our Home Depot they both shared the flimsy hood, but the CC was a bit less money. Anyway, I was really wanting a JD but it just seems to be inferior to the other two units. Gonna rely on you good folks and your advise/insight and do massive amounts of further research this weekend. Man, ADD is exhausting, lol. Gonna order up Monday.
Keep the advise flying please, I REALLY appreciate it.

Bob

Last edited: