BR540 blower peters out after a few minutes running

HMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / BR540 blower peters out after a few minutes running
My br540 blower was running fine yesterday. I refueled it with fresh gas today and after about 20 minutes it started to slow down and I had to feather the throttle to keep it running but it eventually quit. I checked and everything seemed fine so I tried again and after a few minutes it slowed down and eventually quit. Started again and when failing I pumped the bulb which caused it to immediately stop running. Changed the fuel filter, checked and cleaned spark plug and air filter, all OK. Restarted the blower and it ran for a few minutes at full power then
slowed/bogged down and quit. After some research here I will check the spark arrestor tomorrow but welcome any other advice.

Thanks, Howard

possum

Threads
Loosen you fuel cap. If it improves that is the problem.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What kind of gas are you running?

HMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stihl replaced the cap on a recall but I'll check it out. I use non-ethanol mid grade with synthetic oil.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stihl replaced the cap on a recall but I'll check it out. I use non-ethanol mid grade with synthetic oil.

Are we talking about a Stihl leaf blower? If so are we talking about the BR450 because I never heard of a BR540.

HMS

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 550, sorry. After then new fuel filter and removing spark screen with no improvement loosing the fuel cap solved the problem. I guess there is a vent built into the cap that's not working,
I'll take a close look at it and replace it if necessary. Thanks for the help.

Howard

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's a 550, sorry. After then new fuel filter and removing spark screen with no improvement loosing the fuel cap solved the problem. I guess there is a vent built into the cap that's not working,
I'll take a close look at it and replace it if necessary. Thanks for the help.

Howard

OK the BR 550 I've run for the last 9/10 years and it's a great blower. We replaced it on the trailer with the BR600. If you run the Stihl oil along with high octane gas it will last forever.