Tires tire installation!

riseandrun

Threads
Hi guys,
I'm trying to get 4.10 tubeless tires to inflate on my snow blower. I had the same problem with my rider mower this summer. The smaller the tire the harder to "bead"? I've tried belts, rope, wraped around the tire, nothing seems to work. I finally gave up and had my neighbor take them to work,(where I bought the rider) I'll probably do the same this time, but I like the independence of doing it myself. I have everything to take tires off and put on, I just can't figure out how to get the tires to inflate.
Thanks for any pointers.
R&R

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not alone
Put a tube into the tyre ( off the rim ) and blow it up to stretch the tyre.
If you can leave it in the sun for a few days.

Fit the tube blow up the tyre with no tyre lube to seat one bead on the rim then deflate & remove the tube so you are now only working with one loose bead.
Work with the rim supported a few inches above the ground, so nothing is touching the tyre and potentially pushing it off the rim.

They make a rubber tube to run around between the rim & tube to make a temporary almost air seal, but they are not cheap.

Inflate the tyre without the valve in place using a air duster with a big hole so the air gets in fast.

On some occasions I have had luck by working the bead almost onto the rim lip then using some duct tape from the tyre across the rim to the tyre on the other side, stretched tight.
Sometimes you need to scrub the sidewall with this method because the residual mould release wil stop the tape slipping.

And other times I just gave up and left the tube in there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have found that as Bert said warming the tire works best. I combine the tube method with soaking the tire and tube in hot water works for me. Takes about one hour.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And outside with a hose handy.
I can see why it works but I am not far from pension age & hate the think I have paid tax all these years and not lived long enough to get most of it back.

unclelee

Threads
And outside with a hose handy.
I can see why it works but I am not far from pension age & hate the think I have paid tax all these years and not lived long enough to get most of it back.

Just a little squirt will do ya bertsmobile!!
I have used this method a few times with great success....however I am sure that the "SAFTY SALLIES" would not approve of the method, so I added the "at your own risk".
I also use a stick with a burning paper on the end instead of a lighter directly to the tire...keeps my hand away from the boom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something that might be of interest if you need to work on smaller tires great 4 lawn equipment & atv's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7o-i4tQyfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKIgIXuziXg

Hope this helps , the mower shops charge $20.00 to remove & another $20.00to install .... UNREAL !!

You can get it for $35.00 on sale WITH a 25% off coupon !! ( Available several times yearly )

Best of luck ........... Boobala .....:thumbsup: ....:cool2:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Used this method on large tractor and truck tires on the farm, but always chained the tire and rim to the ground. They do have a tendency to move around, if you know what I mean.

riseandrun

Threads
Thanks for all the replies guys. The carb cleaner, highly flammable gas method does scare me a little. Especially on a smaller tire. I have watched several Utube video's that used that method. I picked up an old craftsman snow blower on the curb, and the rims on it are plastic so I am a little leery of using fire.
But anyway, I've had success! What took me over 6 hours in the past, and finally giving up, this time it took me 20 minutes...
My biggest problem in the past is I couldn't figure out how to get a strap cord around the tire and tighten it up enough to spread out the tire. After hour 3 of the first attempt I should have just put it down and come back to it the next day. I was anxious to get the tires fixed so I could cut my grass.
I used my tire lubricant around the bead hoping it might act as an "extra" sealing medium, but probably the best trick is take the valve out of the tire and use a blow gun attachment to fill the tire, thanks bertsmobile1. Once the tire fills, slide your finger over the stem and quickly put the valve back in and tighten. That took a few tries since even a small amount of air loss and the tires were coming off the rims again. Getting the tie down strap off with a full tire takes a little prying on the ratchet end, but what a difference from the first time. I'm curious if anyone reading this has ever used rubber cement on the beads so they stay glued on? So far the tires are still full, so will save that experiment for the future.

Hope this helps the next guy.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess you tried growing a third arm and hand and with a strap cinched down to spread the tire keep air blasting in the the valve stem while positioning the tire on one seating area or the other. My tires usually "catch" a seal doing this.