Remove axle on Honda HT-R3009?

tethridge

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to restore an old HT-R3009 mower. I was able to get it running again, but now I'm looking at the reason it was given to me for free. It just stopped going. I jacked up the back end and found that the rear right wheel spins freely. When I took off the wheel, I noticed that the grooves that usually make the wheel turn with the axle were worn down so much that he wheel would spin without the axle moving.

I see that there are connections on each side that look like I can disconnect to replace the ends of the axle. However, I'm not sure how to get them to turn. They seem to be rusted pretty good. I'll attach some pictures to show what I'm referring to on the axle. Also, the left rear tire is stuck on the axle. I've tried Liquid Wrench and light tapping on the back side of the wheel, but no luck. I don't want to damage the transmission by beating too hard on the wheel while it is still attached through the transmission. If I can get the axle to separate on that left side, it would probably be easier to get the stuck wheel off (the tire is dry rotted).

Any advice on how to get the axle apart or the left wheel off would be greatly appreciated!

I couldn't get images to attach to this thread, so I've shared them here: https://goo.gl/photos/PiqGARr45Jy24Sds8

Thanks,
Trey

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jack up rear end so tires are off floor & place jack stands under frame rails, scotch front wheels front & back. Safety glasses & gloves, try using a big hammer & a 2x4 against inside of wheel hitting the 2x4 with hammer. After soaking axle with penetrating oil, inside & outside axle, wheel should come off. Before reinstalling wheels use antiseize compound liberally on axle shaft both sides.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ual ht-3009 honda&aqs=chrome.0.69i59.4350j1j8 purchase this shop manual if you plan on making repairs.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use an air hammer.

First liberal amounts of real penetrating fluid, not WD 40 or similar arond the axel front & back.
Next let town the tyres, place some hardwood against the wheel as close to the axel as possible. put some weight on the air hammer , rotate the wheel and repeat.
When it gives a little, some more penetrating fluid both ends, push the wheel back on, tap off, keep working back & forth .
Once you get the first 1/2" of movement it gets quite easy.