Buying Advice Looking at an IS700

RhettWS

Threads
Hello whereever you might be!!

I hope to pull the trigger on a new mower right after Christmas. I'm strongly leaning towards an IS700 after sufficient agonizing and worrying about what to purchase.

I have one concern. It weighs about 1/2 ton. I'm concerned it will leave ruts in my yard unless the yard is bone-dry. Hill hugging is not an issue for me but my yard is pretty wet on a regular basis. Rains around 60" per year.

I've read a good bit about mowing in different directions, etc. to avoid ruts. Am I overly concerned about this issue or should I look for something lighter? The only substantially lighter mower I have found is a hustler raptor SD but I am not strong on this unit although for the yard I have it would be just fine.

Thanks for your thoughts. .......... Rhett:confused3:

cubbies.fan12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rhett,

I don't think you could go wrong with a Ferris IS700Z. I bought an IS2100Z and ready to use it this spring! If you are looking to purchase still, I would recommend a dealership in Cabot. They delivered it for free and there was no sales tax. Not sure the phone # but their business is Bruno's Powersports. Good luck !!

RhettWS

Threads
Cubbies fan,

Thanks for your input. I've seen Bruno's online and they do have good pricing. I probably will purchase from a dealer just down the road from me. Their prices are reasonable and I'd prefer to have a local dealer whom I can rely on for service if needed. My dealer offers several lines of mowers plus Mahindra tractors. Several employees and they need to eat too.

I have not purchased yet, although I thought about it long and hard over the holidays. Our total rainfall for this past year was about 75 inches. I keep agonizing over the weight although I see most better quality mowers are pretty dang heavy. I often need to mow when it is wet just to stay somewhat ahead of things. I'm not talking about damp grass from dew but really wet from inches of rain. I've seen my neighbor stick his Scagg and my other neighbor stick his Dixie Chopper. Pretty funny to watch the cursing.:laughing: This may sound crazy but I've found over time the more often you mow the quicker the ground will dry out. My neighbor with the Dixie has a section that gets away from him from time to time. The tall grass prevents evaporation and you end up with a small swamp that will not dry until there is a drought.

I guess i could ask about getting a demo when it is wet but I figure nobody would want to run their equipment where it might sink out of sight or get really nasty.

How does your 2100 work when it is really wet or do you just wait until it dries some? Thanks again ---- Rhett