Onan BF 16 HP

Hotshot3120

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a 1974 16 HP Onan in which I would like to mount an external oil filter and cooler. There are two drain plugs at the base of the engine. This engine needs to run continuously for five to six hours at 3000 RPM so I need to keep it cool.

Question, can I route the oil from one side, through an electric oil pump, into a filter and then through a small oil heat exchanger where it will return to the other side of the engine through the remaining drain plug? A 12 volt fan will blow across the heat exchanger. :confused3:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
no problems with doing that, just remember to fill the whole unit up.
If the cooler is going to be significantly higher a one way valve might be a good idea to stop the oil draining back when the pump is not running and over filling the sump.

Hotshot3120

Forum Newbie
Threads
no problems with doing that, just remember to fill the whole unit up.
If the cooler is going to be significantly higher a one way valve might be a good idea to stop the oil draining back when the pump is not running and over filling the sump.
I believe you are suggesting I put a check valve between the pump and the filter?

While I have you here, do I need to worry about the flow rate? Obviously it is a sealed system, but will the crank build up too much pressure or not enough pressure that would adversely affect the pump? What I am thinking is, there is X amount of pressure in the crankcase. The pump pulls from one port but there will be equal pressure applied to both ports so the pump, I would think, needs to overcome the internal pressure at the return port.:confused3: