Husqvarna RZ4219 Starting Issues

LakeLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having very odd intermittent starting issues with my 1yr old RZ4219. It started a few weeks ago and doesn't make sense. I have replaced the fuel, fuel filter and added a new spark plug, but it didn't change anything. Basically, there are times I go to start it and it just turns over and over, but never starts. I know it's getting fuel. I see the fuel in the filter and also, when I take the plug out, it's also covered in fuel. For example, the other day, I made sure it started in my trailer. Started right up. I let it run for about a minute. I took it over to another house to cut grass, backed it off the trailer and it wouldn't start. I brought it back home, charged the battery and tried again. No luck. Went in the house frustrated and then a couple of hours later, went back out and it started right up.

I can only suspect it's wiring/switch related and when it doesn't start, it's because something is not providing spark to ignite the fuel. Maybe a safety switch acting up? But which one and how to tell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mikel1

Threads
Still under warranty?
So does it have spark when not starting?

LakeLife

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a 3yr factory limited warranty. I purchased it in April of this year, so it's not even a year old. Not sure what is included in a "limited warranty" though. As far as spark, I'm not sure if it has spark when it doesn't start. What's the best way to test that?
There is a Husqvarna authorized repair shop about 45mins from me. It will probably be a couple of weeks if I have to drop it off, and of course, it will probably start for them everytime.

Mikel1

Threads
An inline spark tester would be ideal for this situation. With the warranty in place, don't want to get carried away.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to the Husqvarna section in case you need more advice.

Don't forget to check that warranty!

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
I had an old Murray that did that and it was the coil......

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like you a hot open. This means that when you are using the piece of equipment everything works fine. When you shut off the unit the coil heats up due to residual heat coming off the engine and the coil wires open up, causing a no spark condition. Easy check with an assistant. Pull the spark plug wire off and insert an old plug into the line. Hold the plug to a good ground and have your assistant turn the engine over. If there is no spark your coil is open and will need to be replaced. This should be covered under warranty by all major engine manufacturers. If you try to replace it yourself you will void the warranty.