New startup advice

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hire people on probation or parole.
Big big big big tax breaks.
Heck you go shopping and the guy working at the store could be a sex offender. You don't know.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with you exotion. Berts talks about the bulk of people in jail are there because of lack of proper education, drug addition or there people with mental - emotional problems. People who are in jail are there of there own doing it's not because of the lack of proper education because education is available to anyone who wants it and the majority of drug addition is by choice, hell it's easier to make a house payments and pay bills than support a drug habit. As you say they can go get a job in at a day labor position.

In the begining, middle, and end the only thing that matters is the customer. And the customer does not want potential criminals on their property. Not worth the risk, liability, or stress when Tom down the street can do it with no ex criminals on his staff

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now we know who the stuck up snobs are.
I have never in 30 years doing lawn care. Had a customer ask about any workers.
Only time I have had to submit I background check. Was for the county for the school grounds. Still got the contract with 2 guys with felonies on the grew.

The federal government pays you to hire people on parole.
These guys work their *** off and never miss a day.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apply this to your situation. If you don't say, they won't know and it isn't lying unless the custome absoulety wants to know where your work force comes from. I say you have a very good idea! Jail is hard on people and once they get out they are stigmatised by some people. They probably lost evyerhting they had. Wife, kids, Gf, money, job, etc. A job can alloy a fresh start. If the ex cons do a good job, why not hire them. Don't advertise. Just hire them and make sure they do a good job.

For good logistics you can put a GPS system on each truck to track down crews, get good commercial equipment like Scag, Toro, STIHL, ECHO, Shindaiwa, Exmark, Ferris, etc.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apply this to your situation. If you don't say, they won't know and it isn't lying unless the custome absoulety wants to know where your work force comes from. I say you have a very good idea! Jail is hard on people and once they get out they are stigmatised by some people. They probably lost evyerhting they had. Wife, kids, Gf, money, job, etc. A job can alloy a fresh start. If the ex cons do a good job, why not hire them. Don't advertise. Just hire them and make sure they do a good job.

For good logistics you can put a GPS system on each truck to track down crews, get good commercial equipment like Scag, Toro, STIHL, ECHO, Shindaiwa, Exmark, Ferris, etc.

Until something happens good luck

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Until something happens good luck

And what do you think is going to happen?
You are nice to ex cons most every day. And you don't even know it.
Hell one might work at the mower repair shop.
Most ex cons start a lawn care business.
Truth be told this ex con right here has more customers and makes the money you only can dream of.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a small and significantly more tollerant country than the USA 1 in 20 people have been to prision.
These people include doctors, nurses, senators , lawyers , accountants , even a person who became a nationally recognised hero, got voted Australian of the Year and got an MBE from the queen ( before we dumped Royal honours ) .
You will find hundreds of doctors ( if not thousands ) have done time for one reason or another, particularly those involved with euthanasia & abortion let alone "nice" crimes like perscription abuse for the rich & famous.
So in a country obsessed with segregation & revenge one would expect this ratio to closer to 1 in 10 if not as high as 1 in 5.
And the reason is simple .
Politicians play on base emotions of fear & revenge in order to get elected.
If one of the current presidential candidates said he was going to build a massive prison city somewhere in the desert country with a capacity 200,000,000 inmates and every one convicted would go there for life they would get voted in with a massive landslide.
Why, because it plays on a primary emotion and emotions take ceribal precidence over serious contemplation.

Oh and while on the subject of outing, I have spent more than a few nights "at Her Majestys Convienance".

By the time we closed down the courier company I had keys to well over 50 of the Sydney A list celebrities homes as well as after hours access to most of the top end retail fashion warehouses/ head offices.
We had keys to all of the photographic studios that were either our customers or used by our customers.
About 1/3 of these people knew of my background and because these were well educated people with a brain, none of them gave a toss as none of them found out about the background till after they knew the man.

After the GFC when I was forced back into transport I had keys to almost all of the cellars of the leading restaurants in Sydney because it made their booze deliveries easier and we are talking of stuff in the $ 50.00 to $ 1500.00 / bottle range.
Admittedly most were on CCTV and I am sure some had left little "honesty test" laying around ( or they had really sloppy cellaring practice ) but in any case very few asked about criminal past and all were told.
Only 2 customers refused to allow me access and one was run by a Pom the other a Yank.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now we know who the stuck up snobs are.
I have never in 30 years doing lawn care. Had a customer ask about any workers.
Only time I have had to submit I background check. Was for the county for the school grounds. Still got the contract with 2 guys with felonies on the grew.

The federal government pays you to hire people on parole.
These guys work their *** off and never miss a day.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a stuck up or a snob, it's just common sense. Why would a company hire potential problems. Yes the Federal Government gives Tax breaks to businesses to hire felons but even at that most felons still have to pass printing and a criminal background check which is generally five to seven years of no activity and most can't and as most have already discovered, there aren't a lot of people or businesses looking to hire felons.
As far as schools go, here private or public if you have a felony conviction don't bother applying for a job because your wasting your time. Yes the ex-con can apply and the guy behind the desk will do the interview because he has too by law and then it's a handshake and the old will be in contact thing, the app is then filed and forgot. I mean really say I'm interviewing people for a job and I have 100 applicant's for the job and a couple of felons that apply, what are there chances against the other 98 who are more than qualified applicants. Personally any tax break the federal government could give me for hiring an Ex-con isn't worth the time or trouble.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jail is an easy solution. It is not the best solution. Peole dwell in there for years until they parole. Some go nuts. In fact, many get out messed up because of jail. Crazy stuff happens in jail.

Common sense can somtimes suffer from tunnel vision if you are not open.

Not all prisoners are bad persons. Anyways, I don't feel like arguing much. I think it's a great idea. A second a chance.

Cars, you've been behind bars?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jail is an easy solution. It is not the best solution. Peole dwell in there for years until they parole. Some go nuts. In fact, many get out messed up because of jail. Crazy stuff happens in jail.

Common sense can somtimes suffer from tunnel vision if you are not open.

Not all prisoners are bad persons. Anyways, I don't feel like arguing much. I think it's a great idea. A second a chance.

Cars, you've been behind bars?

Jails aren't the solution. Jails are for people who have been arrested and are waiting for bail or are being held pending a plea agreement, trial, or sentencing. From there you can end up on county lockup for a period depending on the sentence and your record. It takes a lot of offenses before you earn the right to go to the prison establishment. It's funny how some people view the situation of people in prison and actually feel bad for their situation when for the most part there all there of their own doing.