Too Late for Fertilization?

panabiker

Threads
I skipped an application of fertilizer in the summer and put down Scott's Winterizer in mid October. It's obvious that the fertilizer is all depleted and the green grass starts fading. My question is: is it too late now if I put down some more of the fertilizer since the leaves are not growing. Would it at least help the roots?
I live in central NJ and the weather is unseasonably warm right now.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes, as well as lime in pelletized form, just pull up Scotts website and their program for your area. If you have not already done so concerning soil samples, contact your county extension agent, they should be able to test soil samples that you take at no cost to you.

panabiker

Threads
Absolutely yes it's too late, or absolutely yes the fertilization will help (the roots)? I did a soil test in the spring and the PH was right. Iron was lacking so I did add iron and the grass did turn fairly green. Since I have sandy soil, nitrogen is highly dependent on fertilization.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not too late, go ahead and fertilize, just follow Scotts plan every few months.

AllenPKang

Threads
It is not too late to fertilize. If you fertilized in October, than you are actually a little early. I will usually mow around Thanksgiving Day and then apply Scotts winterizer. The grass roots will continue to grow and feed through most of the winter. You will get a nice green up in the spring.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is not too late to fertilize. If you fertilized in October, than you are actually a little early. I will usually mow around Thanksgiving Day and then apply Scotts winterizer. The grass roots will continue to grow and feed through most of the winter. You will get a nice green up in the spring.

Or the fertilizer gets washed out but you know need that small chance it won't