MTD mower DECK extension spring need help

wilburn cox

Threads
I have Montgomery Wards rider, Signature 2000 Elite. Mower model # TM030000A. Made by MTD. MTD cross over # 131A670G088. The deck is Deck G model 600 & 700 series for front engine lawn tractors, side discharge.
The mower was given to me about 15 years ago. Has a Briggs twin engine. The mower has served me well for years but needed the engine rebuilt. I rebuilt the engine over the summer and now am working on the deck.
My problem is with the extension spring that hooks on a spring retainer bracket attached to left rear axle of tractor. Extension spring is 7.58" long. Spring is part # 732-0556 and rear of spring attaches to bracket # 17128. These are shown on parts list along with diagram schematic. This spring is a PTA to remove and I made a tool for pulling back on the spring to remove from axel bracket. Problem is, I have removed the deck several times over the years BUT still not sure I have the front of the spring attached to the stabilizer bracket in the correct place. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
This is a well built mower, all steel except the grill. Only other problem I have had is having to pull back extremely hard on the deck lift lever in order to get it to start. Safety switch has been replaced. FISH was helpful in suggesting bending the triangle tab on the lift lever might help in this. Will try that once I re-install the deck.
Hope you MTD mechanics have suggestions.
Thanks and great days ahead to all of you
Red Cox

wilburn cox

Threads

Thanks mechanic Mark; I studied the diagram on the link you posted, however, the spring I am interested in is the long extension spring (7.58") that the rear of spring hooks to the bracket on the far end of the left axil housing. This spring then attaches somewhere on the stabilizer bracket assembly on the rear of the mower deck.
I do thank you for the information you supplied. I see a lot of you helpful support on the forum and sincerely appreciate it.
Have a great day and Merry Christmas.
Red Cox

Bob E

Threads
It hooks through the bottom hole of the left arm that holds the rear deck stabilizer plate and shaft.

deck%20spring_zpstmgcyycg.jpg

Last edited:

wilburn cox

Threads
It hooks through the bottom hole of the left arm that holds the rear deck stabilizer plate and shaft.

deck%20spring_zpstmgcyycg.jpg
Thanks Bob; The diagram helps. I had contacted MTD and they said the spring hooked on the rod (shaft) of that stabilizing arm. did not seem right to me. thanks for your heol and have a fantastic day.
Red Cox

Bob E

Threads
That is where it hooks for the 38" deck, but the G deck in my parts manual is listed as a 42". F deck is a 38" and H is a 46"

deck%20spring%202_zpspidjgval.jpg

wilburn cox

Threads
That is where it hooks for the 38" deck, but the G deck in my parts manual is listed as a 42". F deck is a 38" and H is a 46"

deck%20spring%202_zpspidjgval.jpg
Thanks Bob; Mine is a G deck and it is 42". Thanks again.
Red Cox

The.kid

Threads
Did you try the weedeater string trick to unhook the spring? Google it. Watch the video. Makes unhooking springs a snap.

wilburn cox

Threads
Did you try the weedeater string trick to unhook the spring? Google it. Watch the video. Makes unhooking springs a snap.

Hello Kid,
Sorry, I am not aware of the video or exactly how or where to find it. Appreciate any helo on this if you can advise. thanks and have a great day.
Red Cox