Echo PB-755SH leaf blower dies when throttle opened

LawnWrangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Echo PB-755SH leaf blower dies when throttle opened
Hello,

I have an Echo PB-755SH leaf blower. I received it second hand as a gift, but it has only been used a handful of times.

I can start the blower fine, and it idles without any trouble, but when I open the throttle beyond about 20%, it starts sputtering and dies unless I lower the throttle back down.

Since I have owned it (3 months), I have used it probably 5 times. The first time I used it it worked perfectly. Second time I experience this issue. Last 3 or 4 times it has been inconsistent, but now the problem is always present.

I'm new to small engine maintenance, but have done some research. Here are the facts:
I am using treated fuel with the correct oil/gas mixture.
I replaced the fuel filter just in case that was the problem.
I replaced the spark plug in case that was the problem.
I have checked the air filter and spark arrestor screen - all clear.

Any ideas before I have to take it in to the shop?

Thanks!

logan01

Threads
If it has a history of ethanol that could be the problem. I would get a carb kit which comes with the diaphragm and needle and other stuff. Definitely replace the needle and diaphragm. You should also use fully synthetic 2 cycle oil in the mix as a safeguard against the ethanol. You should be fine running it but I wouldn't let it stay idle past a month or longer. And make sure the air filter and choke are good to go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a gumming up carb, slowly getting worse with time.
I advise all my customers to empty the petrol tank then start their two strokes and run them dry ( out of gas ).
So do this and have few probles, others don't and contribute to my retirement fund.

LawnWrangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses, bertsmobile1 and logan01.

The machine may have sat for a while with stale fuel in it, and the first few times I ran it I used untreated gas/oil mix (until I smartened up). So ethanol is probably the culprit.

One follow up question for logan01: you said to make sure the air filter and choke are "good to go". Air filter looks good, what should I check on the choke?

Like I said, I'm pretty new to this..

Thanks.

logan01

Threads

The machine may have sat for a while with stale fuel in it, and the first few times I ran it I used untreated gas/oil mix (until I smartened up). So ethanol is probably the culprit.

One follow up question for logan01: you said to make sure the air filter and choke are "good to go". Air filter looks good, what should I check on the choke?

Thanks.

What I meant was if it has a manual choke that you can see the throttle (choke) plate fully opening and closing when manipulated. Glad you got it going. Some machines have a choke, some a primer bulb, some have both.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The chokes on blowers are fairly crude and may not retract fully.
Considering you experience level I would suggest you replace the carb.
The rebuild kits are more than 1/2 the price of the replacement and cleaning cube carbs is a hit & miss affair at the best of times even for very experienced people.
Like everything now days the quest to make them cheaper has dropped the quality and a lot are only just barely fit for service from new so will never repair properly.
If you really want to uderstand what is happening & how they work Walbro has an excellent web site with some very clear easy to understand repair manuals free to download.
There really is only 2 types of cube carbs and no matter which brand they all work the same.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks.

I'm going to ask a question because you stated Since I have owned it (3 months), I have used it probably 5 times. The first time I used it it worked perfectly. Second time I experience this issue. Last 3 or 4 times it has been inconsistent, but now the problem is always present and you also stated the first few times I ran it I used untreated gas/oil mix.
Now it may be just me but personally I'd dispose of the gas your using and I'd go down and buy some regular old high octane gas 92/93 and mix it with the Echo brand oil and forget the lousy treatment your using and the thing will probably work fine. Your problem has nothing to do with running ethanol gas.