Echo SRM 1500 starts but then dies, New Carb ???

rowdyraven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, I have an older Echo SRM 1500 trimmer. It has given many years of great service, but now it will not continue to run after it is started. I have put in fresh non-ethanol fuel mix with a touch of Seafoam. Should I also replace the carb? I'm thinking yes. In thinking this through, my SRM 1500 does not have a primer bulb. Is there a way to add this to the trimmer? If so who would have such? Thanks so much for the help!!!
Rowdy Raven

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you can add a primer and no it will not make the trimmer easier to start.
On diaphram carbs the primmer simply fills the diaphram chamber with fuel, equivalent to filling the float bowl on a normal carb, it does not flood the engine in any way shape or form.

If the trimmer starts ok on the choke then will run on the choke but not when you turn the choke off it is not geting enough fuel for the amount of air getting into the combustion chamber.
Start with checking the mounting bolts are snugged up, don't over tighten most are done up 2 to 5 ft lbs which is screwdriver tight.
Next thing to check is the fuel lines.
On old trimmers the input lines can crack , generally just inside the tank so the trimmer sucks air rather than fuel.
check this by filling the fuel tank to the top of the filler cap,
Problem goes away the time for new fuel lines.
Second test is to use an alternate fuel line, problem goes way = blocked fuel filter.
neither of those then it is either leaking crankcase seals or blocked fuel passages in the carb.
And yes it is easier to just swap them over as a lot of times they do not respond to cleaning and every time you open one up you should replace both the diaphram & fuel pump gaskets and in a lot of cases this means buying a full rebuild kit which is 1/2 to 4/5 the price of a ( hopefully ) new clean carb.

rowdyraven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bert,
Thanks so much for the help here!!! So is there any benefit to adding the primer bulb? If so what bulb would I be looking for and where would it mount?
I'll check the fuel line, I've just put a new filter on it. We'll see what it takes to get it up and running!!!
Rowdy Raven

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
All the primer bulb will do on this echo is help it start.
My bulb fell off 3 years ago.
Still starts and runs fine.

rowdyraven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very good, then I think I will forgo putting one on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the flu chamber on the carb is empty, the primer fills it with fuel.
Pullig the starter does exactly the same thing except 1 pump of the primer is equal to about 10 pulls on the starter rope.
OTOH you can fit one if it makes you feel good.
Almost every repair shop ( not a glass front sales room ) will have boxes of old carbs and can pop a primer on, either a stand alone, on carb, depending upon the model.
However as previously stated not soe thing I would bother doing.