Craftsman ZTS 7500 issue when trying to start.

ZTS User

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I have an issue a Craftsman ZTS 7500, BS V-twin 24hp, 50" cut. First, it has been starting and running great for years. Last year, sometimes when I'd try to start it, The starter kicks in but won't turn the engine... sometimes. IF I hold the key for a few seconds, it might kick, maybe not. If I turn the engine by hand a revolution or so, it might start. If I pull the plugs (new ones), and hit the starter... the engines spins like a top. Put the plugs back in, same thing. Most times when I hit the starter, it will spin the engine about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, then stop. Sometimes it will crank and start right up. most times I have to turn the engine by hand to a sweet spot then it might crank. The starter has been swapped with a known good one. Any thoughts??
Thanks.

gainestruk

Threads
It sounds like your valves are out of adjustment, take off valve covers and check intake .005 exhaust .007 at top dead center then turn 1/4 inch to right to get past compression release.
To adjust get one cylinder at a time to top dead center on compression stroke then turn engine 1/4 inch to right, loosen jam nut and put feeler gage between valve and rocker tighten till you are against feeler gage but can still slide it back and forth tighten jam and recheck.
If you have never done it you might have to try a couple times till you get "feel" of adjusting.

ZTS User

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like your valves are out of adjustment, take off valve covers and check intake .005 exhaust .007 at top dead center then turn 1/4 inch to right to get past compression release.
To adjust get one cylinder at a time to top dead center on compression stroke then turn engine 1/4 inch to right, loosen jam nut and put feeler gage between valve and rocker tighten till you are against feeler gage but can still slide it back and forth tighten jam and recheck.
If you have never done it you might have to try a couple times till you get "feel" of adjusting.

Thank you. That makes logical sense. I do appreciate the advise.

ZTS User

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. That makes logical sense. I do appreciate the advise.
It did take a couple times to get the 'feel' of the gauge. Once I 'got it' , she fired right like is used to. Thanks all.. and that was an easy one!!
Cheers

stz

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 42" ZTS just quit on me in the middle of cutting. I disengaged the blades, raised the deck, and tried to restart; but all I
get is a click/clunk with a blinking double bar on the hour meter. I don't think mine is the same issue. Help!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My 42" ZTS just quit on me in the middle of cutting. I disengaged the blades, raised the deck, and tried to restart; but all I
get is a click/clunk with a blinking double bar on the hour meter. I don't think mine is the same issue. Help!

Start your own thread.