Buying Advice Walker Mowers

Frosty

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a demo with a new 14 hp Walker S model. It is a carburetor Subaru air cooled engine w/ splash oil system. It has the small 7 bu bin, a 12.5" fan and will take a 42" deck maximum. I have also found a 2008 model 31 hp with larger 9.5 bu bin, 52" deck (I would like a 48") with 1,800 hrs on it. The smaller new one is $8,000 and the used one is $6,500. I will be using it for personal use on about 1A of grass (level). I favor the used unit because I like the idea of wide width tires (less footprint) + being able to use a 48" deck.
I think the used 2008 model has a 10" fan. I would like your opinions on which might be the best way to go. Thanks, Frosty

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
1800 hours is a lot of hours. If it does not have a rebuilt or replaced engine then its about time. I would shy away form something that high priced with that many hours. That engine would be around $3000 to replace.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1800 hours is a lot of hours. If it does not have a rebuilt or replaced engine then its about time. I would shy away form something that high priced with that many hours. That engine would be around $3000 to replace.

Well that depends upon the engine.
Walker generally fit top shelf engines so 1800 hours would not worry me on a Walker
Just replaced a Triad with a CH750.
Engine cost was $ 960 from Small Engine Supplies and they have plenty left at this price.
They were originally for a Cub Car but it will fit as Walkers drive off a stub shaft bolted to the flywheel.
Commercials are designed to do 1000+ h/year.
I can not see any problems with your plan.
1 Acre a year will be a doodle just be careful with the roughness of the grass as Walkers have very little n the way of ground clearance so little things like drainage channels will leave you high & dry.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that depends upon the engine.
Walker generally fit top shelf engines so 1800 hours would not worry me on a Walker
Just replaced a Triad with a CH750.
Engine cost was $ 960 from Small Engine Supplies and they have plenty left at this price.
They were originally for a Cub Car but it will fit as Walkers drive off a stub shaft bolted to the flywheel.
Commercials are designed to do 1000+ h/year.
I can not see any problems with your plan.
1 Acre a year will be a doodle just be careful with the roughness of the grass as Walkers have very little n the way of ground clearance so little things like drainage channels will leave you high & dry.

The the Briggs and Stratton 31hp engine is $1975.00 in price. Plus install. I do not call a Briggs and Stratton a top shelf engine. A ch750 is at most a 24 HP. Not a replacement candidate. I like the grasshopper brand a lot but please don't assume that they or any company always puts top shelf stuff in their product. It is all about the money. If they can save a dollar they will.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Humble appologies.
One should have asked the OP what engine was in the used model before one wrote a response.
Made an assumption based upon what happens down here where Walkers are the most expensive mowers on the market.
So the Walkers we get down here only come fitted with full commercial grade engines.
I made the assumption that a high quality orientated family company supplying a niche market would be making the same mowers for the USA market as it does for the Australian market.
Hense the assumption that it would have a commercial grade engine which should be good for around 5,000 to 10, 000 hours, even if it came from the Briggs & Stratton factory.
I did not realise that in the USA Walker also fit their mowers with low end domestic engines that are clapped out after 1000 hours.
Down here that section of the market is exclusive to the bottom end products from MTD & AYP and rebadged temporary diverted land fill from China.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just reread my post and it sounds horrible. I did not want to come across like an a**. I meant to just be mater of fact. I do also apologies for my writing mistakes.

So to let you how Grass Hopper does it here.They basically build 2 lines. One cheaper than the other. Both look the same. The engines they put in them are the real difference. I do really like the Grass Hopper brand but I have never heard of an engine in them lasting over 2000 hours on a regular basis here in the USA. Even the commercial engines don't here. Consumer grade last around 1000 hour. Now this in not stead fast for every engine but as a whole that is what we get here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So when did Walker & Grasshopper merge into one company ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
LOL more typing mistakes. Sorry.