raptor SD blower bagger

chinookdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I'm new to the sight, and I have a few questions about my mower. I bought this mower new last month to mow my newly seeded lawn, I did by the bagger but it doesn't bag the grass well at all or hardly at all would be more realistic. It just cakes up underneath the deck and then giant clumps fall out all over my new lawn. So my question is , has anyone here ever found a blower bagger system for this mower? Im pretty discouraged even when it kinda works it blows leaves and grass out from under the front of the deck as if the shoot was plugged up. I contacted the hustler and they said they thought I either put the wrong high lift blade on or didn't put it on at all. wrong! does anyone have any advice for me? thank you

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I garownanty that a Raptor SD doesn't put out the airflow of a CH-47!!!!
New grass tends to be very wet!
A Raptor SD with bagger relies totally on the airflow provided by the turning blades under the mower deck.
While mowing, the engine must be running at full throttle. As a new operator of a ZTR, you will need to get accustomed to operating your machine and finding it's limitations and keeping within the operating envelope to maximize the machines performance.
Mad Mackie in CT,
Old Huey/Chinook wrench/crew chief!

chinookdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it put out as much wind as the ch-47 I wouldn't need a bagger..........the neighbors would!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not trying to be insulting but are you sure the belt is on the right way.
On blowers powered by a belt running off one of the spindles it is possible to run the belt backwards so the blower sucks.
Also blade speed is important.

chinookdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm definitely not insulted, that's a great place to look. I just picked it up from the getting place and started using it. I will check it out.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What collection system do you have on your Raptor SD?

chinookdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only one they offer that I'm aware of. It just hooks onto the discharge of the deck with a high lift blade on the spindle closest to the outlet. no blower,

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most collection systems that don't have a blower perform marginally at best. Cutting 1/2" or less off the grass is where this type of collection system is comfortable operating.
In time, you will become more familiar with this machines performance limitations and adapt.
My 48" Scag Tiger Cub has a collection system with a large belt driven collection blower and I can clog it up cutting wet or excessive cut height in a single pass.
My Hustler X-ONE is a rear discharge machine, no collection system available and is used primarily in cemeteries.
Bear in mind that a Raptor SD is at the low end of the Hustler line.

Last edited:

kraky

Threads
How low are you cutting? Most cut n throw wont work below 2.5" cause there isn't enough airflow.