Foam for air filters small 2-cycle engines on weed eaters and things?

Phototone

Threads
  • / Foam for air filters small 2-cycle engines on weed eaters and things?
Buying specific stock number foam filters for small 2-cycle weed eaters is rather pricey, if one is going to fix them up and sell them. There should be a source of sheet foam for filters that one could just cut down to size with a scissors. Any ideas?

primerbulb120

Threads
I bought around 30 sheets on eBay for $15. I don't remember what search terms I used, but I'm sure you can find some that will work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BE very careful.
Make sure you are buying "fuel proof" foam.
There are hundreds of different foams out there but relatively few that will not soften or harden & fall apart when exposed to modern fuels.
If you rreally can not afford the OEM filter perhaps you will be beter served with a paor of hand shears or sythe

Phototone

Threads
BE very careful.
There are hundreds of different foams out there but relatively few that will not soften or harden & fall apart when exposed to modern fuels.
If you rreally can not afford the OEM filter perhaps you will be beter served with a paor of hand shears or sythe

I too found some large sheets sold by a vendor on ebay. It was from a motorcycle shop and is intended for the oiled foam applications commonly found on small engines. I am good to go, and so much cheaper than pre-cut.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I first went from concrete dweller (LA) to great NW , OR and WA I though I would just hand cut the long grass over the drain field. Within two strokes I realized why the machine age dawned. Don't try a scythe.

Here's what you could do, although I have not tried it. With each bubble pack sealed Intek 24 air filter a foam prefilter is included, but I stay about 3 changeouts ahead of using the brand new foam by hot suds wash out of the old foam. That is a source for you.

BTW I have used the foam type in my weedeater 2 stroke for years, but have always wondered....The foam approach has been proven less effective in filtering smaller dirt particles over and over. (Yes that includes the hi po auto filters). The husky chain saw use paper. Just say'n...

upupandaway

Threads
BE very careful.

Good point. At work find your IT guy. I work servers and we buy servers all the time. They are typically packed with foam which i tested with gas OK. At least, Dell, Hp, Oracle(Sun) work.