Threading fuel line into fuel tank on older model Weed Eater

Phototone

Threads
  • / Threading fuel line into fuel tank on older model Weed Eater
I have a Poulan Weed Eater brand string trimmer that is almost like the featherlite models, but old enough to only have one fuel line going into fuel tank, and the carb does not have a primer bulb, just choke. Anyway, on "MOST" 2-cycle trimmers the fuel line enters the tank near where the filler cap is located, so it is not so hard to push it in a little ways, then grab it inside the tank with a long needle-nose pliers and pull enough in to attach a filter and let it float on bottom, but this particular model has the single line entering the tank just under the carb on the left (looking from back of string trimmer) but the fuel filler hole/cap is on the opposite (far right) side. Doesn't seem to be any way to get a fuel line in there all the way to the other side where I can put a filter on it. Any advice? I tried snaking a stiff wire thru, and out the filler hole, and on the end of the wire I poked it thru the fuel line and crimped it down, and started pulling and I can get it pulled thru a little bit but then the wire tears thru the fuel line. I have only been able to get the fuel line in a couple inches, and nowhere near the filler cap, so putting on a filter stone is impossible. There must be a way.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try using coat hanger wire with small diameter & run it through top of gas tank first then through hole in tank & insert fuel line onto wire 2-3" & giving it a try by pushing into tank with pliers & pulling gently with other hand. If that does not work use sewing needle & thread tied tightly around one end of fuel line & needle outside gas cap hole.

yes on my chainsaw, the ideas listed below sound good also.

Last edited:

Phototone

Threads
Try using coat hanger wire with small diameter & run it through top of gas tank first then through hole in tank & insert fuel line onto wire 2-3" & giving it a try by pushing into tank with pliers & pulling gently with other hand. If that does not work use sewing needle & thread tied tightly around one end of fuel line & needle outside gas cap hole.

You've been successful with this strategy?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a length of welding wire or sometimes a heavy strand of copper wire ( old house wire ).
Feed it through the fuel line then push the fuel line and wire into the tank.
Some silicon lube spray works wonders.
Copper or full soft welding rod will bend when it hits the bottom of the tank/
When through far enough grab the fule line with some needle nose pliers and pull the metal rod back out the hole.
Have known others to use trimmer line.
A pair of long 45 deg needle nose pliers works even better.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always use a length of new fuel line MUCH longer than needed, THEN with a razor blade I cut the tip of the end going into the tank at a very LONG and large degree of an angle, ( about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long ( yes I lose those couple inches ) it always goes in fairly easy.......... feed in several inches to grasp with your needle nose pliers or a piece of wire ,pull it out the fill hole, cut off the angled end , attach your filter .... pull back the extra length as needed ......... BE SURE its the correct size fuel line, I always keep several lengths of the many sizes in my workshop , and thats my way of dealing with that problem, hope this helps ...........Boobala ......:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a combination of cutting the tip at an angle to get it started in the hole, and a piece of wire to feed the hose in the direction that I want it. Sometimes takes a few attempts to get the fuel line to come out of the hole in the fuel tank when fed from inside but worked fairly well.

clay45

Threads
I use a combination of cutting the tip at an angle to get it started in the hole, and a piece of wire to feed the hose in the direction that I want it. Sometimes takes a few attempts to get the fuel line to come out of the hole in the fuel tank when fed from inside but worked fairly well.

Same here.