B&S Els or Kohler 7000

revkev

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which engine is better? I am looking at a land owner ZTR. One has a 26 hp Kohler 7000 (attahced to a Husq rz254) and the other has a 22 HP ELS B&S (attached to a John Deere Z425). Both mowers are 54 inch cut. The JD is rated at 8.5 mph and the Husq is 6.5 mph. Which engine is the better choice (apart from one having more HP than the other). I have 4-5 acres to cut. both of the mowers are able to handle that much acreage once a week. I am settled in on these two because of price.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which engine is better? I am looking at a land owner ZTR. One has a 26 hp Kohler 7000 (attahced to a Husq rz254) and the other has a 22 HP ELS B&S (attached to a John Deere Z425). Both mowers are 54 inch cut. The JD is rated at 8.5 mph and the Husq is 6.5 mph. Which engine is the better choice (apart from one having more HP than the other). I have 4-5 acres to cut. both of the mowers are able to handle that much acreage once a week. I am settled in on these two because of price.

Personally I'd go with the Husqvarna with the Kohler its Recommended Cutting Range/Yard Size (Acres) 3-5. The John Deere z425 with the Briggs has a Cutting Range/Yard Size (Acres) 2-3. The Husqvarna with the Kohler according to spec's is the way to go.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Both engines are fine.
If these are the two mowers you are picking from go with the husqvarna. It is a better built mower for the money.
Looking at repair and maintenance cost.
The Deere will hurt you. Even tho their belts cost less. Blades cost about the same.
Deck spindles cost almost twice as much on the Deere.JD decks are known for not lasting. You can buy JD mowers cheap all day with no decks.

revkev

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the advice - I may end up buying the Hustler SD raptor 54" instead.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for the advice - I may end up buying the Hustler SD raptor 54" instead.

I would get the Hustler SD raptor 54

The Hustler would be a lot better mower than either of the other two. You'll get a lot better engine with the Kawasaki FS691 and you'll get the 3400 drives, it's basically a low end commercial machine.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Hustler would be a lot better mower than either of the other two. You'll get a lot better engine with the Kawasaki FS691 and you'll get the 3400 drives, it's basically a low end commercial machine.

Hustler Raptor SD specs show Kohler Pro 7000 engine and 2800 drives.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hustler Raptor SD specs show Kohler Pro 7000 engine and 2800 drives.

Your right, when it came on on the search it was the Fastrak I looked at not the Raptor. Sorry about that that :ashamed:. It's still a better mower though.