HomeLite string trimmer

Oddball

Threads
I've got a Homelite trimmer that is probably 10 years old. The manufacturer's plate on the engine says John Deere, but I'm relatively certain JD didn't make the engine and it was made for them by someone else. So I've got a 25cc engine of unknown manufacture made for John Deere then rebranded as Home Depot's brand Home Lite. Anybody know who actually made the engine on this thing? I think Ryobi makes the HomeLite stuff now, but did they 10 years ago?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a Homelite trimmer that is probably 10 years old. The manufacturer's plate on the engine says John Deere, but I'm relatively certain JD didn't make the engine and it was made for them by someone else. So I've got a 25cc engine of unknown manufacture made for John Deere then rebranded as Home Depot's brand Home Lite. Anybody know who actually made the engine on this thing? I think Ryobi makes the HomeLite stuff now, but did they 10 years ago?

Post a pic...odds are it's a Ryobi, my 2003 Homelite had a Ryobi engine. The vast majority of Weedeater gas trimmers are also Ryobi powerered.

Oddball

Threads
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good pics....what is weird is that your trimmer looks like a different version of my Y2K Muculloch Mac 2816...and for the life of me, I don't know what make of engine THAT one has myself....

And I sure cannot understand why the information label on yours would say JD...what a mystery.

Oddball

Threads
Thanks JD, there's a John Deere dealer just 2 miles up the road from me. I guess maybe I'll take it by there and see if they can tell me anything about it. It works fine, I've just always been curious who made the engine in case I ever need to do anything to it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks JD, there's a John Deere dealer just 2 miles up the road from me. I guess maybe I'll take it by there and see if they can tell me anything about it. It works fine, I've just always been curious who made the engine in case I ever need to do anything to it.

Odds are, if the engine ever needs work, the parts alone will cost more than a replacement new trimmer will !!! I recently posted about the broken choke pivot for my dad in laws Homelite, the choke pivot shaft is not available as a part, instead one must pay $90 for a complete new carb assembly plus shipping...and you can buy a brand new, comparable sized and powered trimmer for $75 with tax. Go figger !!!!

Oddball

Threads
Odds are, if the engine ever needs work, the parts alone will cost more than a replacement new trimmer will !!! I recently posted about the broken choke pivot for my dad in laws Homelite, the choke pivot shaft is not available as a part, instead one must pay $90 for a complete new carb assembly plus shipping...and you can buy a brand new, comparable sized and powered trimmer for $75 with tax. Go figger !!!!

Yep, its a racket. Charge a fortune for parts, that way the company makes more money by making it necessary to buy a new machine because a tiny $1.00 part was broken.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Yep, its a racket. Charge a fortune for parts, that way the company makes more money by making it necessary to buy a new machine because a tiny $1.00 part was broken.

Fully agree!

Threads
Henry Ford said he could give his cars away and still make money selling parts.