Lawnboy Model 7268 Question for experts!

Brianp48093

Threads
Good morning everyone.

***I'm including my Dropbox link with pictures***
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sv9aah4yelw4psc/AAB-oDUOcneAqMJnMZKKaXK7a?dl=0

Need some input! I have a Lawnboy engine F series, (I think it's an F). The number stamped on the engine below the spark plug is 681430-D3.
I'm pretty sure the model is a 1978/79 7268 but I'm not positive. I wish I could just check the model plate on the deck to obtain the Model/Serial number...the problem is, this engine is on a totally different LB deck. The engine is on an 8243AE deck.

About 15 years ago I had an old Lawnboy 8243AE (the key electric start one with no pull cord) I pulled the engine off and gave it away. I kept the 8243 Deck and put the 681430-D3 engine on it since the deck was in much better shape. Since the model number on the deck tag does not match with the old engine, can anyone tell me what year/model/series mower this engine went with? I went to Lawnboy.com and pulled up the part drawings, but I want to be 100% sure its the correct drawing so I can get the correct parts.
I have the engine ripped completely down to the rod and piston, I want to rebuild it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Everything from piston, rings, seals, gaskets etc. I've wrenched on Lawnboys over the years, mostly carbs, exhaust port cleaning, and ignition pack. I'll be honest, this is the first engine I've ever opened up. The most depth I've gone into an engine is replacing the valve cover gasket on my car lol. I'm assuming the piston on this Lawn boy is toast, but i really have no idea.

This mower hasn't ran for a couple years now. Good spark, but won't sputter. Even with starting fluid in the carb or cylinder...nothing. I cleaned the carb, exhaust ports and even replaced the ignition pack. Nothing. I guess that's why i ripped it apart.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Phototone

Threads
That is for sure an "F" engine. But it is one with the crankshaft gear for the older style of self-propelled mower that uses rollers pressing on the rear wheels. Therefore the crankshaft has a gear on it, and the engine casting has the provision for the gear cast into it.

Brianp48093

Threads
That is for sure an "F" engine. But it is one with the crankshaft gear for the older style of self-propelled mower that uses rollers pressing on the rear wheels. Therefore the crankshaft has a gear on it, and the engine casting has the provision for the gear cast into it.

Awesome. Thanks! Would you happen to know which F Series it is? F100, F140, F200? All the replacement parts seem to be easier than I thought they'd be except for a new piston and rings. Not having much luck with that. If you ir anyone else has any ideas on where to buy the piston and rings...I'm all ears.

Brianp48093

Threads
All "F" engines use the same piston. Here is a reliable source I have used many times:

Piston Assembly Replaces Lawn-Boy: 682986

That site you recommended is sweet! I'm ordering all the parts now :)

Last question for you...are the upper and lower bearing the same part? I noticed on the LB part diagram, they are different part numbers. 681830 and 681832.
On the tewarehouse site, I'm only finding 681832.

Thanks!

Phototone

Threads
That site you recommended is sweet! I'm ordering all the parts now :)

Last question for you...are the upper and lower bearing the same part? I noticed on the LB part diagram, they are different part numbers. 681830 and 681832.
On the tewarehouse site, I'm only finding 681832.

Thanks!

The bearings are different. tewarehouse just has one. The oil seals are the same top and bottom. Be sure to get those. You may not need bearings, but you for sure will need oil seals. The bearing that would wear the most is the bottom one (closest to the lawnmower blade).

Brianp48093

Threads
Phototone,
I just wanted to thank you again for your reccomended source! TEW was awesome. They had everything I needed except one item. Placed order on Sunday and it arrived this a.m. (Wednesday) They shipped USPS 2 day. Painless and quick. :)

Phototone

Threads
Phototone,
I just wanted to thank you again for your reccomended source! TEW was awesome. They had everything I needed except one item. Placed order on Sunday and it arrived this a.m. (Wednesday) They shipped USPS 2 day. Painless and quick. :)

Yes, it's a great resource. I just wish they stocked more Lawnboy stuff, they seem to be reducing their inventory.