Pinestraw season is not far off now

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am looking forward to Pinestraw season. This year I am gathering materials to build a new and improved baler. It looks like we have maybe two more weeks of grass and then I can go to work on my baler in ernest.

I will post pictures when I get started.

Threads
I am looking forward to Pinestraw season. This year I am gathering materials to build a new and improved baler. It looks like we have maybe two more weeks of grass and then I can go to work on my baler in ernest.

I will post pictures when I get started.

The needles will soon be falling off the pine trees here, too. This time last year they were already falling. Here we just put it at the curb and get rid of it with the leaves....no one uses it for mulch.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down here many pitot on beds for mulch. We bale it and sell it when we can find clean straw.

Threads
Down here many pitot on beds for mulch. We bale it and sell it when we can find clean straw.

Yeah I think it looks nice on the flower beds. Here the only time it's done is on properties that are full of pine trees, so people just keep the pine needles that fall for around the trees, because if you put mulch down and try to rake up the pine needles it will rake up the mulch as well. But other than that it's 100% mulch.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pine straw looks good when it is done right.
We trench around the beds. Then tuck the straw with a flat shovel or roll it with a blower.
I try not to do it much. Not a lot of profit. Unless you can bale your own.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pine straw looks good when it is done right.
We trench around the beds. Then tuck the straw with a flat shovel or roll it with a blower.
I try not to do it much. Not a lot of profit. Unless you can bale your own.

In our part of the world I would say that pine straw is by far used more than any other kind of mulch.

I built a pine straw baler a while back out of wood with an air cylinder to compress the bales. I am now in the process of building one out if metal. I am going to put it in a better trailer. I am excited about getting it going. I hope to work on it this week.

Threads
In our part of the world I would say that pine straw is by far used more than any other kind of mulch.

I built a pine straw baler a while back out of wood with an air cylinder to compress the bales. I am now in the process of building one out if metal. I am going to put it in a better trailer. I am excited about getting it going. I hope to work on it this week.

Yeah I remember the pics you posted of the baler. It looked nice. Keep us posted on your new one.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah I remember the pics you posted of the baler. It looked nice. Keep us posted on your new one.

I am revamping my rake as well. I am putting two linear actuators on it. One to lift it and one to angle it. That should greatly enhance the way it rakes. It will give me the ability to put down pressure on as well.

Threads
I am revamping my rake as well. I am putting two linear actuators on it. One to lift it and one to angle it. That should greatly enhance the way it rakes. It will give me the ability to put down pressure on as well.

Sounds like it will work well for you! :thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

I put a front hub from a lawn mower on the front to use to make it swivel left and right. I also ordered the actuators and switches today. We have a couple of yards to cut tomorrow and then I am going to start laying some stuff out on my new baler as well.

I bought an air compressor yesterday to power my new unit. We used an electric air compressor on the trailer with a generator on the trailer to pull it. This new compressor is gas powered.

9 gal. 212cc 135 PSI Wheelbarrow Air Compressor EPA III