fs45 stihl trimmer modification

thejck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a fs45 a long time ago when I lived on a smaller lot and I always struggled with carb issues on that thing so I purchased a straight shaft for use on my acreage for multiple reasons.

Now this thing has been sitting there and I found replacement carbs for fairly cheap and was thinking or fixing it up to sell it. However I have always wanted an edger and was wondering if I could convert the 45 into one?

I also read that the motor in the 45 is the same as the 55 (straight shaft version). Is there a way I can switch the shaft of the 45 to a 55 straight shaft and then use an edging head on it?

I am not familiar with the 55 the new one I purchased was a 130. I dont want to mess with it as its still under warranty.

thejck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Or even better if i could use a kombi k55 shaft with it :)

thse

Threads
You cant change the existing shaft to work with an edger, you could on the other hand buy a fs55r with a bad engine and use the shaft on your 45 and turn it in to an edge. the end of your shaft on your 45 has a bearing on the end that sets into the outer shaft so you can put a string head on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be able to rotate the shaft 90 deg so the blade is in the right plain for edging then fit some clip on wheels.
Bent shafts do not like solid cutters, but fitting one of the plastic blades should work for you.
Can't remember which way the cable is laid in a FS 45 so if you fit a solid blade, slip the drive cable out enough to check the lay and make sure that the teeth on the blade will be acting to tighten the wire & not unwinding it.