Leaning toward a tractor, but man those ZTRs are sexy

burninator

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Leaning toward a tractor, but man those ZTRs are sexy
Hey All, I have a "help me spend my money" question. Awesome site, been doing some poking around and getting great info, but thought I would just throw it out there. I'm going from mowing a postage stamp-sized yard with a push mower to about an acre with a really gentle slope, some trees on the edges and a ditch on 2 sides. Very few obstacles, pretty wide open. Previous homeowner was going to leave us her tractor, but it pooped the bed recently, so I get to pick out a new machine! I'm like a kid in a candy store. She said it took her 2 hours with what I think was a pretty old, basic Deere with a 36-inch deck or so. I'd like to cut that in half, at least, keep it under an hour if I can (not including trimming). I'd also like to spend under $5k if possible. $3k would be even better...you get the idea.

I was all geeked out about getting a ZTR that would do the job in 40 minutes, but now I am leaning toward a tractor, for a few reasons: (1) need to tow a leaf bagger, probably full of wet leaves, so would want the ZT 3100 / 3400 trans, which puts me up over $6k, I think. (2) Have 2 small boys, when they get bigger they can drive a tractor easier than learning a ZTR, for mowing and just to tow crap around in a cart for fun. (3) I might want to plow or get a snowblower attachment for it eventually (right now I have an old walk-behind snowblower).

I thought a tractor would be cheaper too, but it turns out you can spend as much as you want on one of those too! Looking at the cub cadet XT2 series, maybe 50 or 54-inch deck. I'm having a hard time finding much in my price range that compares. Thoughts? Am I stupid to think I can get it done that fast without a sweet ZTR?

Many thanks.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You get a LOT of bang for your buck buying a tractor these days. I've got a 1994 Cub Cadet that's still going strong which cost me $2400 1994 dollars. Today, $2400 2015 dollars will buy FAR more tractor than my Cub Cadet.

Even with a tractor, your mowing time will go to zero soon. That's what the boys are for.

Parkmower

Threads
The only way to cut the mow time in half is with a ZT.
I have 3 kids under 12 and they all can drive my zt. (drive, not mow.) it's like anyone learning a zt, takes a bit but they have it in no time. Plus I like to think my kids now have an advantage over others being familiar with zt steering.

The snow issue- I've never used a lawn tractor for snow removal but have heard they aren't the best.
I have an old 2 stage snow thrower and think they are the best way to clear an average small to med drive. Anything larger you'll prob want a full size truck with plow.

Leaves- my zt has a bagger and does a good job on leaves. Yes I have to mow twice as often and empty twice as many bags but it works.
Could really put mulch blades on and bag every other mow.

Bottom line get a ZT! This time next year you'll be wondering why you even considered a tractor.

And if you really needed a tractor you could get a beater off CL cheap for the occasional uses.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
ZTRs are nice, but all they do is mow grass. If you need a machine to mow and push snow, then you need a garden tractor with some attachments.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro ZT's can Mow & Tow, not likely to push snow tho...

I would also suggest to not get carried away with the Biggest deck you can find, many have found out that dips in the yard & etc will get scalped, & you may end up doing more push mowing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want to do more than mow the look at GARDEN TRACTORS, not Lawn tractors.
While a lot are visually identical there is a big difference where you can not see it.
You pay for what you get.
Lawn tractors can be built on a pressed chassis that is as thin as 0.75mm
You then see an identical looking garden tractor that can be on a pressing as thick as 2.5mm.
All the strength & rigidity is in the pressing.
And feel is not to be trusted because the thin pressings get a very heavy powder coating to make them feel thicker.
Garden tractors get stronger transaxels to handle the extra load of rotary hoes, snow plows etc.
Garden tractors usually have the commercial grade engine where as lawn tractors have the residential grade engine.
Spend a few more $ now if you have to because a good garden tractor will last till the grandkids want to ride on your lap.
Lawn tractors are built down to a 500 -1000 hour effective life.
I have 2 customers who both got burned out in 1999 bush fires.
One on a 2 acre block, the other on a 10 acre block.
The son on the 2 acres bought a Murray ( $ 6000 ) his dad bought a Honda 4021 ($ 14,000 )
I am currently serviceing the Honda, the only part other than belts / blades & filters required are the front steering bushes, it is like new wear wise with 8000 hours on the clock which is no longer working.
The Murray is clapped out it has had 2 sets of spindle bearings, all of the deck hanging system had been replaced at least once & I am about to do it again.
All the shafts on the pedals & linkages are worn near to the centre and will require welding or replacing ( where available ) , Down for the off season.
The deck has more weld that pressings. Both I and my predessor have welded in patch plates and it got a new engine 2 years ago.
I am not trying to degrade the Murray it was in its day a good mower and 15 years is a good life from a ride on but the difference in the 2 is amazing.
I have just finished rewiring a JD LX172 1995 model, again going strong, unfortunately he keeps it in a sed next to the chickens so it suffers badly from mouse invasion but apart from that excellent condition and it is on a 5 acre block.

Lohman446

Threads
This is generally my take on it:

You cannot out mow a dedicated zero turn mower just like you cannot out skid steer a skid steer. People buy tractors because they often do both reasonably well but they simply do not compete with purpose built machines. Yes I know you did not ask about skid steers.

I very recently purchased a zero turn mower after looking around a lot - I opted to buy used and went with a ZD323 that I haven't even picked up yet. So understand I am no expert but I did look around a lot at zero turns.

Around here you can pick up new Ferris / Snappers for just under $5,000 - a dealer is currently offering a blow out price on the Snapper 550Z (61" deck / 25HP Briggs Commercial Turf / ZT3100 axle) for $4800 including taxes. If I had not bought the Kubota this was going to be my "fall back" option.

If I owned a single piece of lawn equipment it would not be a zero turn mower - as it is I am trying to figure out which garden tractors my new acquisition is going to replace because I was using all but one of them as dedicated mowers anyways but I will keep at least one. As good as a zero turn mower is at mowing quickly (and well) I am apprehensive about its ability to handle other tasks. You will not match the mowing speed of a ZTR with a tractor. Then again ZTR's suck as snowblowers (though I see you can get a snowblower attachment for a Grasshopper).