battery powered grass trimmer

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I went to use my old worn out cord grass trimmer today. It is ready for the trash pile. I am in the market for a new battery power grass trimmer. I want something good quality and will last me a few years. I didn't really don't want a gas power trimmer because they are too heavy, noisy, and a pain to keep running. I am open for suggestions what I should get??

Parkmower

Threads
Stihl was making a lithium ion powered trimmer last year. Not sure if it is still being made/sold or if it fell flat. I know there are less expensive units out there, but anything carrying the Stihl name is about as good as it gets in my book.

I have never used any battery powered trimmer.

MowerMike

Threads
Dewalt is now making cordless garden tools like string trimmers that are very good quality. You can find them at Lowes or online. They are definitely worth checking out.

Threads
Look into the Echo 58 volt brushless system. one battery runs a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, blower or weed eater, etc.

ECHO 58-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer with 4 Ah Battery-CST-58V4AH - The Home Depot

You only need to buy one with a battery and charger. Others, if needed, can be bought as a "bare tool"

I own a Landscaping Company, and I have the chainsaw, it's brilliant! I've probably bought my last gas weed eater. I'll keep one for heavy duty use, but for just regular trimming, when my gas ones die, they'll be replaced with Li-Ion

MowerMike

Threads
Look into the Echo 58 volt brushless system. one battery runs a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, blower or weed eater, etc. ECHO 58-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer with 4 Ah Battery-CST-58V4AH - The Home Depot You only need to buy one with a battery and charger. Others, if needed, can be bought as a "bare tool" I own a Landscaping Company, and I have the chainsaw, it's brilliant! I've probably bought my last gas weed eater. I'll keep one for heavy duty use, but for just regular trimming, when my gas ones die, they'll be replaced with Li-Ion

I've seen those at my local HD, and the only problem is that they are quite heavy, even feel heavier than the gas units. I think the OP is looking for something lighter than a gas unit and not necessarity the most powerful.

Threads
I agree that they're not light, especially compared to a small gas powered unit. But, the Echo addresses three out of four of the OP's original criteria very well.. It will last for years, probably decades,( especially with light residential use ) It's quiet, powerful, and it's not a PITA to keep running.

Another aspect to consider, not just with the Echo, but any Li-Ion powered tool.. Compared to gas powered, over the long haul, they're pretty much free..

Ten bucks worth of gas and premix per year, for 20 years. plus no tune up or servicing..

You'll NEVER...

Buy gas...
Buy and mix 2 Stroke oil
Buy Stabilizer
Throw out gas, gas / oil mix because it won't run right.
Drive to the gas station to buy gas
Replace the clutch
Replace the spark plug
Pay for a tune up

And that's just the stuff that costs you money..

It'll NEVER...

Not start
Not run right

MowerMike

Threads
I agree that they're not light, especially compared to a small gas powered unit. But, the Echo addresses three out of four of the OP's original criteria very well.. It will last for years, probably decades,( especially with light residential use ) It's quiet, powerful, and it's not a PITA to keep running. Another aspect to consider, not just with the Echo, but any Li-Ion powered tool.. Compared to gas powered, over the long haul, they're pretty much free.. Ten bucks worth of gas and premix per year, for 20 years. plus no tune up or servicing.. You'll NEVER... Buy gas... Buy and mix 2 Stroke oil Buy Stabilizer Throw out gas, gas / oil mix because it won't run right. Drive to the gas station to buy gas Replace the clutch Replace the spark plug Pay for a tune up And that's just the stuff that costs you money.. It'll NEVER... Not start Not run right
I wasn't arguing for using a gas powered tool, just saying that these particular Li-Ion tools from Echo are quite heavy compared to some other less powerful cordless units. All of my outdoor power tools, including lawn mower, are Li-Ion battery powered. My main string trimmer is a B&D 40 volt LST136W with a single 0.065 line auto feed head that can do most of my trimming. I use a separate bladed unit for edging, currently a 20 volt Scotts Sync. I just bought a Greenworks Digipro 40 volt straight shaft attachment capable unit that is more powerful with a brushless motor and a dual 0.080 bump feed head for the occasional heavier job that the B&D can't handle.

Threads
Yup... You're right, the Echo is probably heavier than an equivalent gas trimmer. For me the deciding factor was that I could use the battery in other Echo products, without having to buy more batteries, just purchase the bare tool.

Also, I've no idea how big the OP's property is.. I took the " not too heavy" as meaning that the property was large, and a heavy unit was tiring to lug around for an extended time. Duh.. I should've asked how long it took to trim, and that would have given a better idea of the what level of unit is required.

Only other point would then have been the warrantee .. I know the Echo stuff is 5 years consumer, which speaks well of their faith in the build quality of the product. If any other brand will do the property on one charge, and has a 5 year warrantee, pick the one that feels the best when you're using it. Sometimes, "heavy" can mean unbalanced, or, in need of a properly adjusted shoulder strap.

I'd suggest get one from Home depot, take it home and test it out. If it's not right for the job, take it back and get something different. Repeat as necessary until satisfied.

chobbs1957

Threads
I have wondered about the weight of the more powerful battery powered handheld equipment. More power means bigger battery means heavy battery.

Why doesn't some manufacturer design a separate battery that is strong, worn by the operator with a comfortably designed harness or backpack, tethered to the handheld with a short power cable.

Sent from my iPad using LMF