Parking Brake Lever (on dashboard ) and parking brake malfunctioning

jinglepaws

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Parking Brake Lever (on dashboard ) and parking brake malfunctioning
I have a 2004 LT2000 Craftsman Rider Mower. Brake lever on dash frozen 99% of the time. The few times I get it to release, there is no tension or spring action whatsoever and makes a very loud "pop". The lever is more or less lifeless. The brake/clutch pedal has to be pushed ridicously hard and pushed beyond the normal point where it should disengage. (Worked great until last season and has steadily gotten worse) The pedal then will release the brake but doesn't "spring back" towards me like it does when it worked properly. I have someone coming out Thursday but I tried to tell him it had a problem last week when I had a tune up but I was ignored. I would like some idea what is causing this problem so I know what needs to be checked. I have physical challenges anyway and I depend on this rider. My legs aren't that strong so a problem like this makes operating the mower extremely difficult. Any suggestions welcome.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manual Craftsman Lawn tractor 917273180 | SearsPartsDirect do not know if this is your model number located under seat, try spraying cable & linkage down with lubricating oil let it soak & see if that helps.

Extension Spring | Part Number 131335 | GUARANTEED FIT from Sears PartsDirect

Brake Arm Spring | Part Number 532165890 | GUARANTEED FIT from Sears PartsDirect

Lawn Tractor Brake Arm Assembly | Part Number 184907 | SAME DAY SHIP GUARANTEE from Sears PartsDirect

check out 3 parts listed above & see if they are worn out or broken.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake arm sits on the chassis rails and they tend to gater a lot of debris which prevents full movement of the pedal.
The first one I did the debris was acked so hard I thought it was a packing block till I checked the parts book.

The parking brake is just a plate that slips into a notch with a backwards slope so it holds.
Again it is subject to build up of debris blocking its proper movement.
Occasionally the wiring can come loose and foul on the parking brake.