Echo vs STIHL trimmer line lenght

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been liking much more the ECHO than the STIHL for a while, because it gives a longer trimmer line than the STIHL. I was wondering if there was any other way to get more line on the STIHL apart from removing the shield (I've tried it and I don't like it). A different guard? If not, I might get ECHO trimmers instead.

zmister11

Threads
I've been liking much more the ECHO than the STIHL for a while, because it gives a longer trimmer line than the STIHL. I was wondering if there was any other way to get more line on the STIHL apart from removing the shield (I've tried it and I don't like it). A different guard? If not, I might get ECHO trimmers instead.

Yeah ide like to know. That's why I took my guard off.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

First thing I do on any trimmer is take the guard off.
It just gets in the way.
I like echo over stihl
If someone gave me a new stihl first the guard would come off. Second I would put a echo speed feed head on it.

Threads
guards on trimmers are there for the purpose of user protection & a cutter cuts the line to a specified length to maximize clutch, drive shaft, gear-head wear. the longer line length the more load on the drive components & affects engine performance. over the years i have seen many trimmers with out guards & heavier line which in time mainly wears the clutch, the other issue is your warranty may be void if you have a drive component problem in the warranty period. yes i agree it's easier to see what your are trimming with out one on but my opinion is to keep the guard on:smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Well to begin with when your talking about line length between the two brands your basically talking about a moot point considering there isn't enough difference between the maximum line length to make a difference in anything you would trim. As 066 already stated anything longer than max length will only effect the clutch, drive shaft, gear-head wear and affect engine performance.

If your looking for more cutting power and effective cutting power with the maximum line length you have, I'd suggest you start looking at the engine spec's and see what machine offers the most effective engine power between the two brands.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input.

I always run with my guards. I just want more trimmer line from the STIHL. In fact, I should measure the line lenght on both trimmers.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Speed-Feed 400 head takes 20 feet of .095 line to be fully loaded.

I have same head on my Shindawia T235, it had a cut swath of 20 inches, but I turned the line cutter around (2 bolts) so it now has a cut swath of 18 inches.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your talking about line capacity of the trimmer head and not cutting swath The Stihl Auto-Cut 25-2 holds 26 ft. of 095 fully loaded.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well to begin with when your talking about line length between the two brands your basically talking about a moot point considering there isn't enough difference between the maximum line length to make a difference in anything you would trim. As 066 already stated anything longer than max length will only effect the clutch, drive shaft, gear-head wear and affect engine performance.

If your looking for more cutting power and effective cutting power with the maximum line length you have, I'd suggest you start looking at the engine spec's and see what machine offers the most effective engine power between the two brands.

Gees,
I am agreeing with Ric again ( must be getting old )

If you need much more than 10" of cut then you might look at your procedures .
Mowing is faster & better with a mower and trimming should be kept to a minimum.
I would be unlucky to trim much more that 3" to 4".
Even on the steep banks it i still a lot faster with a mower, even a tiny 16" one.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am talking about cut swath. I just feel the STIHL doesn't give as much as the ECHO. I like the lenght on the ECHO