Dixon ZTR4421 wiring problem

BR549-1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm new to this forum, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum (Husqvrarna & Dixon ) or (small engine repair)

I've acguired a Dixon ZTR 4421 or could be a ZTR4422 there are no serial numbers or name plate on the mower any where . it is a 42" cut it is blue with square headlights . I'm approximating the year 1994 - 1997

The motor that was on it was Briggs twin model 42A707 type 1238 01 (it was blown up threw a rod )

I'm trying put an extra motor I have on it a 286707 0420 01 s/n 92030611 Briggs
I know these motors wire up differently......

I wired it up thinking I wired it correctly via wiring diagrams in black and white (not colored wiring diagram) Briggs and Stratton for this said motor
I also used the wiring diagram in black and white (not colored) for Dixon on the ZTR4421 or 4422

When I tried to start it nothing but a click at the solenoid . just click click click click.

So any help would be greatly appreciated .

the 286707 has a black wire ( kill wire armature magneto)
and a black and light red 2 wires to the Alternator that go into 2 pin connector

#1 does anyone have colored wiring diagram for Dixon 4421 or 4422 ? this would help alot

#2 how much ohms / resistance should the Alternator have and also the Armature ?
so I can check this with a multi meter.

thank you

RoperGuy

Threads
Well you could possibly have the charging system correct, either way it should start. a no start means you have a problem with the starting circuit or a low battery

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the solenoid just clicks you do not have enough power to turn the starter motor over.
First try running some jumpers directly from the battery to the starer.
If the starter turns, then you have a earth or power feed problem.

Check & clean all power and earth connections that use thick leads.

If the motor does not turn then verify the starter by jumping from a known good battery.
Starter turns then you have a batery problem.

BR549-1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I connected the same battery to the starter directly and it turned.
This battery is a battery I have in another rider (same size HP) and it starts up just fine.

I did find a Dixon 4421 wiring color coded diagram and traced all the wires , they are all where they are supposed to be.

Could the dual Stator / alternator be bad ? would it cause the motor to do nothing ?

or even the coil ? I cant test the coil because the motor wont turn. I put an extra coil that was working on this motor I'm still getting the same results.

I've doubled checked my wiring I even tested the relay and can hear it click . as the solenoid does.

I just cant help but think I'm missing something

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is clicking,
The starting relay or the starter motor solenoid.

BR549-1

Forum Newbie
Threads
the starter solenoid clicks when I turn the key to on position. I know its getting power.

The relay is Bosch 4 pin that is under the control panel and wired in . When I took this off and applied power to it I could hear it click . I'm assuming it is good.

there are no fuses on this Dixon nor does the wiring diagram call for a fuse, It just has the Bosch relay .

gainestruk

Threads
One thing I want to add, do you know what the charging output is on replacement engine ?
If mower has electric clutch for blades you will need 14-16 amps to run it and keep battery charged, I do see you might have manual engagement which one do you have ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bridge the two heavy terminals on the starter solenoid.
IF it turns the engine over then the solenoid is either bad or has a bad earth.

If there is only 1 small terminal on the solenoid remove it, clean arounf the mounting bolt holes & the bolts themselves.
Try again.
No joy then buy a new solenoid.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I connected the same battery to the starter directly and it turned.
This battery is a battery I have in another rider (same size HP) and it starts up just fine.

I did find a Dixon 4421 wiring color coded diagram and traced all the wires , they are all where they are supposed to be.

Could the dual Stator / alternator be bad ? would it cause the motor to do nothing ?

or even the coil ? I cant test the coil because the motor wont turn. I put an extra coil that was working on this motor I'm still getting the same results.

I've doubled checked my wiring I even tested the relay and can hear it click . as the solenoid does.

I just cant help but think I'm missing something

Did you jumper the big posts on the solenoid?

I think the solenoid is bad.