Difference between Home Depot vs. dealer equipment

Bigk825

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are the exact some mowers. Made by the same people at the same place. With the same parts.

That is not true! John Deere makes cheaper entry level mowers exclusively for box stores like Home Depot. In fact you cannot buy the same thing from John Deere. They send a tech to inspect all JD mowers sold by the box stores to make sure it is to standard.

Bigk825

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now go to Home Depot and pick a mower.
Then go ask the dealer to order you one.
The mowers will be the same right down to model number and price.

no they will not be. You must be a HD gopher to write such misleading info. I know because i work for John Deere.

D

Deleted member 97405

• / Difference between Home Depot vs. dealer equipment
no they will not be. You must be a HD gopher to write such misleading info. I know because i work for John Deere.

I've worked at a dealership since 1998.
I was involved with several Home Depot and Lowes as the setup and warranty repair tech around the tri-state area here of WV,PA, and MD.

*When Deere first entered the mass channel arena, they had the Sabre and Scotts branded mowers which did have differences.

But from the introduction of the L100 series up to present day, they are all the same.
I have also repaired 100's of these units here at the shop and they all use the same parts, whether sold from the dealership or Lowes and Home Depot.
When you look up parts, it does not separate the machines into dealership vs box store categories.
The units are identical and come from the same factory. Side by side they are the same.
For example, an E110 at a dealership is the same as the E110 at Lowes or Home Depot.
Anyone claiming otherwise, please list what is different.
I am curious as to what is different.
Having actually setup and repaired units both at the dealership and Lowes and Home Depot, and dealing with the Deere Mass Channel reps over the last 15+ years, I am curious as to what is different.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in Ontario, I have a friend that works at JD and when I went and bought a D110, I was told by him that it was the same mower but he could not match their price so I bought it from Lowes and John Deere in my area does the set up on it. The dealers sticker was right on the mower at Lowes.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
But let's keep in mind that there are MTD John Deeres and real John Deeres, huge difference there and I don't think the big box stores even carry the real ones?

D

Deleted member 97405

But let's keep in mind that there are MTD John Deeres and real John Deeres, huge difference there and I don't think the big box stores even carry the real ones?

On the contrary, Deere doesn't sub out their lawn tractors as they did with the walk behind snow blower and walk behind mowers. The engines and transmissions are built by other manufacturers, but that also is true for their higher models as well. The 100 series are built in a Deere plant in Greeneville, TN.
But there is so much speculation out there on the web and on forums that the truth is hard to find. Here is a good article.
I will leave you to your own conclusions....

https://todaysmower.com/2017-john-d...lowes-what-is-wrong-with-these-lawn-tractors/

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Prior to some posts last year I would have agreed with Tom.
When you get under them everything is AYP right up to all of the redundant holes in the chassis .
So either the chassis is a bought in item or the mowers are made under license from whoever did the design.
The only difference when you are underneath is the deck lift mechanism but you can swap AYP & JD deck lifts between the two mowers .
Thus I would have vowed that AYP made the 100 series.
This was reinforced by other JD's that were made by Honda and of course the rebadged Yanmar diesel compact tractors.