Engine Cross referenceing oil filters

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your Kholer filter is a 3/4 -16 thread (AFAIK all kohlers have the same thread ) 3" dia and 3.5 " long.
It is 27 micron with 10 psi bypass & anti drain valve.

The longest mower one with those specs is 4 .5 " long
Kohler number is 277233-S ..And the after market ones are around $ 5 ( Stens, Rotary, K & N )

Just be a little careful fitting car filters , which I do all the time as they are 1/2 price of mower filters. Some have way too high bypass settings so if clogged will cut off the oil flow to your engine as the mower pumps rarely do much more than 15 psi when brand new and none get better with age . If you change yours every 100-200 hours it will not be a problem. Most of my blokes do them monthly & they buy a trade ( 12 ) pack which works out about 2/3 the single boxed price. Anything from 20 to 40 micron will be OK but naturally the finner the filter the cleaner your oil but the faster the filter blocks up. . Most mower engine filters go 20 to 35 micron Genuine Briggs are 25 to 28 micron. Most transmission filters go 10 to 20 micron. Don't get blown away by 3 micron or the fact they use exact numbers like 26 or 27 microns, that just happens to be the pore size of the filter paper used and there are 1000 microns in a mm or in US terms 25,400 microns to an inch or 0.25 thou. so the difference between 25 & 26 microns is about a flea's fart . So if the sales person starts rabbiting on about how much better their 2 micron finer filter is just watch where their other hand is.
Any filter mounted sideways must have an anti drain back ( syphon ) valve fitted. Not necessary with hang down filters but to cut down on inventory I only keep valved filters.

Consummer filter catalogues generally are organized by application but if you ask for a filter by specs they can look up the factory specs on computer and give you a dozen matches.
it is all about numbes so the most popular filter will be the cheapest but trade packs can change all that.
I can get filters down to $ 2.25 each if I buy them in 100's ( wholesale price )