Husqvarna YTH 2348 wont start

ESB

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower wont turn over with the key. It will start when I jump the solenoid, but then the pto button will not engage the blades. The pto switch was replaced last year. Any suggestions?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, maybe a blown fuse, broken wire or a loose connection between the ignition switch and bus which feeds ignition and blade clutch. If the ignition switch isn't getting power, it can't tell the starter solenoid to function. Same thing with the blade clutch switch--if it has no power, it can't operate the blade clutch.

ESB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked the fuses already, couldn't find my fancy ohm meter (thanks brother) so I bought another one tonight. I will check for power to other items tomorrow night. Might need help with which wires to test.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a bad earth or bad battery.
Try starting direct from your own battery with some jumper leads.
If that works then battery is OK
Next try using the key with a jumper from the neg to a good earth point , like the oil drain plug.
If that works then you have a bad earth, pull off the wire, wire brush every thing.

Running off the hot wire on the starter solenoid is the main power wire and on it somewhere is the fuse.
A lot of electric PTO switches will not trip when the voltage drops below 10 to 11 V.
This is to protect the PTO which are not cheap.

With the engine running full revs you should get 13V to 15V at the battery ( to recherge it ) which will drop to 12 V to 15 V when the PTO is engaged.

ESB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the problem with my new ohm meter. There was a short in the fuse holder. It was tricky finding it since it had a connection part of the time. Thanks for the help.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad you found it.