hearing protection

AndySKane

Threads
I recently bought a Ferris IS1500Z with a Kawasaki engine. It is much louder than the Cub Cadet 2518 I previously used. I'm looking to buy hearing protection.

I use Classic earplugs for chainsawing but would like to look into other options.

Any opinions or advice on what to buy?

Jetblast

Threads
I buy these by the box: Amazon.com: Howard Leight LPF-1 Max Lite Uncorded Foam Earplugs Box, 200 Pair: Home Improvement I think I've tried every earplug know to man and these are my all-time favorites. They're comfortable enough to sleep with, which I often do.

I used EAR Classics for a long time but they weren't as comfortable and because they're so short, occasionally I'd insert them too far and have trouble getting them out.

Muffs are too hot and sweaty for me, or maybe I'm too hot and sweaty for them.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are other options out there - there are headphones with radio, auto noise cancelling headphones, many types of ear plugs.
I have found that (for me) the headphones eventually make the area around my ears sweat.
I generally use the in the ear plugs - some are more comfortable than others and I believe that is individual taste. When you find some you like, they are much less expensive if you get a box of 200 or more form someplace like Gemplers.

I nearly always use some ear protection running any machine - My Better Half is deaf in one ear and nearly so in the other (hereditary), but at least one of us should be able to hear something. :biggrin:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I use a similar product as jetblast, they are called "EAR Express", Pod Plugs by Aearo Company. These have a firm end on them to easily put in and out of ear. I used the muffins for years before this, always gave me a head ache after awhile because they didn't fit well with glasses on. They would also get ripped off my head from low hanging tree limbs occasionaly. :laughing:

fastback

Threads
I use the ear phone with music. I think they are called work tunes. Yes they can get a bit warm, but most of us need to protect ourselfs from the UV rays so I tough it out. On the positive note I get to listen to the local sports radio station. Anyway, I'm already deaf in one ear soo...

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few things to keep in mind about hearing damage:

When it happens it is subtle -- just a little bit at a time so you don't necessarily notice it.

It's generally irreversible and progressive -- so once you have a partial loss that's your new base -- you go down from there. Hearing damage is generally nerve damage and nerves usually don't regenerate.

If noise seems uncomfortable, it's probably risky for your hearing. It's better to be safe now than sorry in the years to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use ear plugs (usually the regular disposable ones) with any loud machinery. I even use them when I'm in my house while someone is using a leaf blower (a particularly bad machine for the hearing, IMO) in a neighbor's yard.

LandN

Threads
classic yellow spongies:thumbdown:.... smoothies:thumbsup:.....ear muffs(with glasses):thumbdown:my frames would break the cushion seal....ear muffs (wo/glasses)maybe if you can stand the sweat....... bottom line is use something. anything is better than going without protection. I have bad tinnitus in both ears from going without for to many of my younger years ringggggggggggggggggg:mad: wear what feels good .

Jetblast

Threads
The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

I think the same thing when I see a fellow cyclist (I ride a lot) with headphones -- he/she is on track for a Darwin award. But that's different from using noisy equipment with earplugs. The bicycle makes virtually no noise -- keeping your ears clear gives you early warning when something is approaching from behind. On the other hand, my chainsaw is very loud. I wouldn't think of using it without hearing protection.

Not all gas-powered machines are loud enough to require earplugs. My Lawn-Boy mowers have large and effective mufflers, so I don't think any protection is needed. Some leaf blowers are so loud and high-pitched (high notes are more damaging) that I question whether most earplugs provide enough protection.