Toro Z Master rear tires wearing out on inner tread ? Normal ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro Z Master rear tires wearing out on inner tread ? Normal ?
Neighbor has Z Master with over 1,000 hours & back tires are showing the most tread wear on inner most part of tread (both rear tires), like it has Negative camber.

Is this normal ?

He doesn't do computers, so I'm inquiring for him.

Appreciate any replies.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Neighbor has Z Master with over 1,000 hours & back tires are showing the most tread wear on inner most part of tread (both rear tires), like it has Negative camber.

Is this normal ?

He doesn't do computers, so I'm inquiring for him.

Appreciate any replies.

I would say if he has a 1000 hrs on a set of back tires he has done very well. I wouldn't worry about the ware pattern, I'd just get a new set of tires. Generally speaking tire ware comes from tires running the wrong air pressure.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric- Thank You Sir. It's odd tho, we can stand way back behind his Z & look & the rear tires, & they do look to have a very slight inward slope at the tops of both tires, like a negative camber look.

That & he runs 24 psi. Which rides very hard. I would think running that high of psi would wear out the centers of the tread first. Unless the Zero's are set up with a very mild neg camber to aid in fast turns & not cuting up lawns as easily, & maybe a little better grip on slopes, IDK ?

Our 1996 BMX Z-3 had heavy negative camber set up on rear tires, to take turns like crazy & it stuck like glue. & the Z rated tires wore evenly.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone else ever experience anything like this on any brand Z ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric- Thank You Sir. It's odd tho, we can stand way back behind his Z & look & the rear tires, & they do look to have a very slight inward slope at the tops of both tires, like a negative camber look.

That & he runs 24 psi. Which rides very hard. I would think running that high of psi would wear out the centers of the tread first. Unless the Zero's are set up with a very mild neg camber to aid in fast turns & not cuting up lawns as easily, & maybe a little better grip on slopes, IDK ?

Our 1996 BMX Z-3 had heavy negative camber set up on rear tires, to take turns like crazy & it stuck like glue. & the Z rated tires wore evenly.

It's a wonder that he has any tires left at 24 psi there only supposed to be 12 to 14 max psi, that's probably the reason they look like there running neg, camber.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Ric- I agree & have long ago told him 24 psi is way too much air.

I have to respectfully disagree tho, about that causing the tires to look like they have neg camber, no doubt they visually look to have slight lean on tops of both. Air pressure won't do that, set-up being built can.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Ric- I agree & have long ago told him 24 psi is way too much air.

I have to respectfully disagree tho, about that causing the tires to look like they have neg camber, no doubt they visually look to have slight lean on tops of both. Air pressure won't do that, set-up being built can.

Now this is just my take on it or the issue and I could be totally wrong but the tires themselves wont cause the issue, but the air pressure he is running has possibly cause the problem. The tires act as a type of shock absorber for the rear of the mower and pumping them (the tires) to twice the pressure you negate any type of absorption the tire would have provided and if that's the case something else is taking the bumps or shock and that would be the axles, so it's my guess that the axles are somewhat bent causing the negative camber.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that the over inflated tires have negated any intended cushioning thru the tires. But it has been my experience that a bent axle, even slightly, will cause wheel wobble when traveling. That is NOT the case.

They roll very true. Now either it may have been intentionally built this way, or maybe the pumps mounting areas have been both slightly bent (at same amount), which looking at the frame on that tank is a little hard to think possible, but I'm not sure. That's the nature of the original question.