Honda string trimmers

javjacob

Threads
I am looking at getting a new string trimmer and want something that is quality built and will last. I have looked into the HHT25SLTA. The biggest concern I have is that its a 4 stroke and the valves will need adjusted? I also don't like the trimmer head so would I be able to replace the head with a T35 or something that works better?

The other one I am looking at is the Stihl FS94R which is a 2 stroke so there is no worries about valves ect. Im also not a big fan of the trimmer head the Stihl comes with so I would probably change it out too.

I know the big 4 stroke Hondas never need any maintenance other than oil changes but I hear people talking about adjusting the valves all the time on other 4 strokes but not sure if that also includes the Hondas? I hear about the Stihl 4 mix 4 strokes always needing the valves adjusted.

The Honda HHT25SLTA and Stihl FS94R are both the same price.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda's maintenance schedule for the HHT25 is to check the valve clearance every 100 hours or once a year. The procedure is quite simple:
valve%20adjust_zpsgyq0epkv.jpg

The gearbox output shaft is an industry-standard left-hand thread, and nearly any type of aftermarket trimmer head will fit just fine. Honda sells a number of different styles; here's a link:

Honda Trimmer Accessories (.PDF file)

javjacob

Threads
Thanks for the info! Looks so much easier that I thought it would be. Every 100 hours recommended isn't bad at all either.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The other one I am looking at is the Stihl FS94R which is a 2 stroke so there is no worries about valves ect. Im also not a big fan of the trimmer head the Stihl comes with so I would probably change it out too.

I know the big 4 stroke Hondas never need any maintenance other than oil changes but I hear people talking about adjusting the valves all the time on other 4 strokes but not sure if that also includes the Hondas? I hear about the Stihl 4 mix 4 strokes always needing the valves adjusted.

The Honda HHT25SLTA and Stihl FS94R are both the same price.

The Stihl FS 94 is a good trimmer if your a 2 stroke fan. As far as what you hear about the Stihl 4 mix units always needing the valves adjusted, the only thing I can say about that is I've run the 4 mix stuff for the last eleven years, Blowers, Trimmers and Edgers and I've never had to have the valves adjusted on any 4 mix unit and never have to do anything but normal maintenance needs. Plugs, air filters and gas filter replacement and clean the screens occasionally.

javjacob

Threads
I am having a really hard time deciding on the Honda 25cc or 35cc or the Stihl FS94R. Cant buy both lol. I really wish Honda made a 2 stroke. I have always been a fan of 2 strokes for their lightweight, power and simplicity. I have also always been a Honda guy because of their quality, reliability and longevity. Honda's last forever.
My biggest concerns with the Honda's is they are quite a bit heavier than the Stihl.

Things I like better on the Honda are the solid throttle trigger vs the flap trigger on the Stihl and I don't like the cruise dial thing on the Stihl either. I have heard people have broken the Stihl triggers by getting caught on things since its a flap trigger things can get under it.

I think I will go to the Stihl dealer and the Honda dealer and see how they feel in my hands.

Threads
I am having a really hard time deciding on the Honda 25cc or 35cc or the Stihl FS94R. Cant buy both lol. I really wish Honda made a 2 stroke. I have always been a fan of 2 strokes for their lightweight, power and simplicity. I have also always been a Honda guy because of their quality, reliability and longevity. Honda's last forever.
My biggest concerns with the Honda's is they are quite a bit heavier than the Stihl.

Things I like better on the Honda are the solid throttle trigger vs the flap trigger on the Stihl and I don't like the cruise dial thing on the Stihl either. I have heard people have broken the Stihl triggers by getting caught on things since its a flap trigger things can get under it.

I think I will go to the Stihl dealer and the Honda dealer and see how they feel in my hands.

Good idea. When all else fails, see which one is more comfortable to hold/operate. :thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If your looking for light weight and power and a 4 Stroke engine you can't beat the Stihl FS 100 RX... It's a 31.4 cc engine and weighs 10.8 lbs and cost $369.95 The 35cc Honda's are 14.8 and 15.4 lbs. The difference in weight isn't worth the extra 3cc you get in engine on the Honda.

javjacob

Threads
If your looking for light weight and power and a 4 Stroke engine you can't beat the Stihl FS 100 RX... It's a 31.4 cc engine and weighs 10.8 lbs and cost $369.95 The 35cc Honda's are 14.8 and 15.4 lbs. The difference in weight isn't worth the extra 3cc you get in engine on the Honda.

I'm not wanting a 4 stroke but the Honda has me interested... but only Honda. I am going to hold both at the dealerships and see first hand how they feel in my hands. What has me really considering the Honda is Honda's reliability and long life.
I wonder how many hours the Honda 4 stroke will last vs the Stihl 2 stroke?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm not wanting a 4 stroke but the Honda has me interested... but only Honda. I am going to hold both at the dealerships and see first hand how they feel in my hands. What has me really considering the Honda is Honda's reliability and long life.
I wonder how many hours the Honda 4 stroke will last vs the Stihl 2 stroke?

You can't really say how long one will last VS the other because there are to many variables to consider. You as a homeowner either unit could last you more years than you can count running them like you'll be running them but for someone like myself who uses them daily 5 or 6 days a week it's an entirely a different story.
I have a two stroke edger that I've been running for 12 years also a 2 stroke chain saw that is 14 years old and they both are still running great. I can tell you this and that in the last 11 years or my business I've never seen any other business that was running the Honda 4 stroke units so I figure there must be a reason why and it's not that they haven't been available. Personally I think with the Honda 4 stroke there's to much maintenance involved and there just to heavy to use.

javjacob

Threads
I went to the Honda dealer and they had the HHT25 but not the 35. I could notice the extra weight and it didn't feel perfectly balanced to me. Just didn't really impress me on the feel. Went to the Stihl dealer and I bought the FS94R, its light weight and perfectly balanced. I really like the feel of it. I feel bad saying this in the Honda section. I just couldn't justify carrying that much more weight with the Honda and not gain any power.