Repairs Gravely zt hd drivebelt replacement

PARTSGUY12

Threads
I have removed lots of bolts over the years. The dealer is a very long time, reputable Gravely dealer and he says they have seen this happen on this particular engine and have not had much success getting it to come out. I trust them, maybe to a fault. I guess I will see what they say tomorrow sometime. I know one thing, I will not be purchasing another Gravely, and especially not with the Kawasaki engine. I have 2 friends who also have had major issues with the Kawasaki engine, one in a Hustler and one in another Gravely. I was just hoping to get by until we move off the acreage into town in a couple years. Guess I'll hafta dig in the wallet a little bit.

mhavanti

Threads
Can't imagine the bolt breaking off has anything to do with the engine being any certain brand. Breaking bolts has more to do with one or more things, usually beginning with: metallurgy, bolt over tightened, bolt loose and others.

The Kawasaki has many less problems than a Kohler at this time in history. I'd stick with it, run the hell out of it and if it lays down, I'd be surprised.

Hope the dealer took a very good look at the broken bolt before he began drilling to get an idea what happened to cause the broken bolt. Again, metallurgy can tell you a great deal when keeping the same problem from occurring in the future.

Good luck,

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are a piece of puss to remove if done properly.
Easy way is to drain the oil, pull the engine out then take it along for electro errosion machining.
We have mobile units down here so you must have them up there.
Workshops now days can not afford the time to grind down the head square then drill out progressively using larger carbide tipped drills.
By the time it is out you could have done 3 services so most of the bigger shops use the mobile units, same thing for spark plug inserts.
Mobile bloke pulls up & 10 minutes latter you have a professionally fitted time cert for less than your hourly charge out rate.
Most snapped PTO bolts will either be a bad bolt or an overtightened one courtesy of 24V battery impact drivers.

PARTSGUY12

Threads
Not sure what could have caused it at 200 hours. The bolt has never been touched since I bought it. But I have read about others having the same thing happen. Both valve covers are leaking a bit. I have had Kohler engines before and had good luck with them. I understand it's probably an anomoly, but it is just frustrating. Horrible timing for me-broke, family medical issues, kids going to college, etc. Just another sob story I know but it helps me feel better lol.

PARTSGUY12

Threads
They literally just called and said they were able to fix it. So I guess we will see how long it lasts now lol. Thanks all.

OldDuffus

Threads
I am in the process of changing mine as well. 2013 ZT60HD. It went out at 50 hours, dealer replaced. I am now at 200 hours and it broke again. I am trying, with no success, to replace it myself. The clutch does not have to come off, however I can not get the belt to fit over all 3 pulleys. I lack about 3/4 inch from being able to get the belt on. It is very frustrating. I am looking for advice as I will need to mow any day now lol!
Terminology: The upper pulley on a Gravely ZT model 915116 is the "hydrostatic transmission belt" or "ground drive" belt. The lower pulley drives the cutting blades and, unfortunately, is the one that both manufacturers and customers call the PTO belt.

Some say to remove the electric clutch, that fat thing that stops the blades quickly for safety. You should only have to loosen and drop down the PTO (blade belt) from the bottom pulley and let it sag, having loosened the spring on the mower deck. You would also need to disconnect the wire that connects to the electric clutch so that the ground drive belt can clear it.

I tied a thin rope to the idler pulley arm hole where the spring attaches and extended the spring by threading the rope to the rear, left corner of the frame, pulling very tight so that the idler pulley leaves the belt really loose and tying the rope to the rear, left corner of the frame, back around the engine's left side. You may have to remove the rope while slipping the belt off the pulleys and through the back side of the mower frame and re-tension it when the belt has cleared.

The belt must clear the hydrostatic transaxle pulleys (they have fans on them) and slip off upwards and the belt extricated through the rear of the machine. The belt can't slip downward because it will be hung up in the transaxle bodies, those two aluminum castings into which the drive wheel axles feed. The belt will not slip upwards easily because the frame is too close to the transaxle pulleys on the outboard sides. I had to loosen the three large bolts and nuts on both transmissions so that they sag and rotate so that the pulleys pull away, toward the inboard, from the sides of the frame to provide clearance to safely slide the ground drive belt past. Keep the (4) bolts tight, (8) total, that attach the wheels to the axle housing. On each side of the mower, only loosen the two bolts (4) total that tie into a trough-shaped angle with flat plates welded to the end, called the "weldment". Loosen the one (2) total, longer, thinner vertical bolt and nut that fastens to a right-angle bracket attached to the frame at the top of the transaxle body. You'll see a "frightening" sagging with the tires rotating outboard on the floor like a bow-legged cowboy. It will look like those dune buggies where the wheels' tops lean toward the car. But this also rotates the pulleys with those fans so that they move away from the frame to let the belt pass. Of course, all of these are re-tightened after the new belt is on and finally, the blade PTO belt goes on its lower pulley as a last step.

OldDuffus

Threads
Barely have 56 hours on new zt60 hd Gravely mower and tall grass broke the hydro drive belt . do I have to remove the clutch to replace the drive belt ? Looks that way to me but thought I'd ask first before I did all that .
I don't think so. You should not have to remove the clutch in my opinion, although it makes it easier to get to things, but not critical.

Some say to remove the electric clutch, that fat thing "blob" that stops the blades quickly for safety. You should only have to loosen and drop down the PTO (blade belt) from the bottom pulley and let it sag, having loosened the spring on the mower deck. You would also need to disconnect the wire that connects to the electric clutch so that the ground drive belt can clear it. During my clarification added below, I discovered that the bracket that slides into a slot on the electric clutch body must also be removed to pass the installation belt upward to the upper pulley. This bracket or bar supports the left one of those push-pull bars that places the mower in free-wheel or back to driven. I left the bracket hang and dangle from the push-pull rod only to have it fall and conk me on the head while loosening framing bolts under the unit.

I mentioned in another post that I tied a thin rope to the idler pulley arm hole where the spring attaches and extended the spring by threading the rope to the rear, left corner of the frame, pulling very tight so that the idler pulley leaves the belt really loose and tying the rope to the rear, left corner of the frame, back around the engine's left side. You may have to remove the rope while slipping the belt off the pulleys and through the back side of the mower frame and re-tension it when the belt has cleared.

The belt must clear the hydrostatic transaxle pulleys (they have fans on them) and slip off upwards and the belt extricated through the rear of the machine. The belt can't slip downward because it will be hung up in the transaxle bodies, those two aluminum castings into which the drive wheel axles feed. The belt will not slip upwards easily because the frame is too close to the transaxle pulleys on the outboard sides. I had to loosen the three large bolts and nuts on both transmissions so that they sag and rotate so that the pulleys pull away, toward the inboard, from the sides of the frame to provide clearance to safely slide the ground drive belt past. Keep the (4) bolts tight, (8) total, that attach the wheels to the axle housing. On each side of the mower, only loosen the two bolts (4) total that tie into a trough-shaped angle with flat plates welded to the end, called the "weldment". Loosen the one (2) total, longer, thinner vertical bolt and nut that fastens to a right-angle bracket attached to the frame at the top of the transaxle body. You'll see a "frightening" sagging with the tires rotating outboard on the floor like a bow-legged cowboy. It will look like those dune buggies where the wheels' tops lean toward the car. But this also rotates the pulleys with those fans so that they move away from the frame to let the belt pass. Of course, all of these are re-tightened after the new belt is on and finally, reattach the wires to the electric clutch and the blade PTO belt goes on its lower pulley as a last step.

For any following this thread, I want to add a clarification or helpful point. I recently installed a new drive belt to replace the one that got nearly severed last mowing season when several bolts were lost from the under carriage support bracing, allowing the wheels to sag and twist alarmingly. I was able to leave the electric clutch in place, but I had to disconnect it from the wiring harness leading to the electrical feed from the battery via that red button you pull or push to activate the PTO mower blades. Topologically, you must temporarily remove the blade PTO belt (lower belt) from its pulley so that the replacement belt for the hydrostatic transaxles can be "threaded" up and around the electric clutch "blob" with the wiring harness disconnected to allow the belt to pass upward to sit on the upper pulley on the motor axle. You must also loosen and swing out of the way the bar that keeps the electric clutch from rotating. The "painful", difficult part was threading the belt around those pulleys that have the fan blades under them. Again, topologically, the forward new belt end or loop must be slipped DOWN over those pulleys which are too close to the chassis sides. Removing bracing bolts as I describe above begins to move the pulleys inboard to provide belt clearance but it still has to be pinched through a disgusting, tight clearance with chassis. I ended up getting the belt in position to traverse the small gap and had to place a short piece of 2x4 on top of the transaxle pulley and use a flat roofing crowbar to "coax" the pulley downward by levering on the bottom of the chassis frame member. Then I took a stick with my free arm to force the belt through the gap, repeat with the other pulley.

The final step is to somehow get the back side of the v-belt surface around the spring-loaded idler pulley. I tried looping a rope through the hole in the idler arm that the spring attaches to and pulling the rope and idler spring toward the rear of the mower, wrapping the rope around the chassis at the rear. But it was not enough to get the belt around the idler pulley. I ended up taking a long 2x2 piercing the unit from the top which could only be done if I moved the bar/angles holding the seat springs up, to the side and opening the top of the unit up. To do that, I had to temporarily disconnect the fuel hose, ground wire lead to the engine and loosen the throttle and choke cables by disconnecting them where they attach at the back of the engine so that the seat angle could rotate up and to the right side of the ZT mower. The bottom of the 2x2 stick pushed against the wide roller on the mower deck, pushed in the opposite direction to force the idler pulley toward the rear and pivoted against something between those two points creating a fulcrum. It was a balancing act and excruciating to assure that I had the belt siting in ALL the pulley v-grooves. At my age (67 in June of 2020) this took the most part of a day to accomplish.

Last edited:

OldDuffus

Threads
2 hours of mowing and it shredded the belt again. Something is not right. Only 200 hours on this mower. Called the dealer to come get it and fix it, I'm done lol.
I have more than once made a mistake when I put the mower deck blade belt on. My mistake is to forget to check that the belt actually sits in the "v's" of all of the pulleys before I put the pulley covers on. It gripes me that I will then hear a loud noise which I forget means that I messed up again. By the time I figure out what's making the noise, I shred another belt.

My most frequent mistake is that the belt ends up sitting UNDER the right side pulley and it rubs on the stationary pulley axle instead of riding smoothly on the pulley "V" itself. Oh, I hate it when that happens.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome Old Duffus
In the top left corner of every post is the time & date it was posted .
You might notice that PArtsguy12 started this thread in 2018 and stopped posting in July that year when the mower came back from the workshop .
So you have been answering a closed post that was finished in 2018 .

OldDuffus

Threads
Welcome Old Duffus
In the top left corner of every post is the time & date it was posted .
You might notice that PArtsguy12 started this thread in 2018 and stopped posting in July that year when the mower came back from the workshop .
So you have been answering a closed post that was finished in 2018 .
Thanks, bertsmobile1. I have fooled myself that way on many occasions, answering posts that are old as the hills or the problem solved or "expired" long before I ever suggested a belated solution. I'm even late in responding to your post. I guess I imagine that those out there who search the threads might find their newer, recent problems made easier to solve after reading my outdated responses.