Black and Decker 18 electric mower left in garage for years, how do I get it to run?

scholar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Black and Decker 18 electric mower left in garage for years, how do I get it to run?
Someone's father gave this mower to a guy who left it in the garage for years, I think, and he sold it to me. It ran when last tried (however long ago), but it doesn't run now. It is old-looking. The front and back skirt (do you know what i mean? The flat parts that are plastic on the back of modern mowers) are made of metal. The grass is cut by two blades that overlap each other, like an old-fashioned egg-beater or like two-bladed helicopters.

Is the problem likely to be dust build-up or moisture build-up in the electric motor? If so, how might I fix that? The blades didn't turn freely at first, but a little push with my hand (not plugged in, of course) got them to move. They seem to be geared together--if I rotate one by hand, the other moves as well. Is there some kind of lubrication I should try?

It looks as if it was once a real good mower, and might serve me real well if I can get it going. Otherwise, I'll see about getting my money back. But, it was only $30. I wasn't able to try it on location because the electricity was off on this presently-unoccupied rental property. The guy offered to pay me back right away, but I'd really rather have the working mower if possible.

scholar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Black and Decker 18 electric mower left in garage for years, how do I get it to run?
Come on, guys, doesn't anyone have anything helpful to say? Before I started writing this second post, the listing said there were 118 views--but, not one reply!

Perhaps I could get a response by posting the question this way: A corded electric mower was left in garage storage for years, and then it wouldn't start. What would happen to such a mower to cause that? And, would it be reversible?

Do I need to clean it in some way, either to get out dirt or moisture? Would the wiring or switch corrode in such a way that it needs to be polished and reconnected? Should I figure the bearings stopped working properly (and, if so, can I lubricate them back to health?).

If I can't solve this quickly, I'll have to spend much more money to get a mower that is working, now.