Rebuild, short block, long block, or new mower?

Sirwired

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro SR 20042. (2001 6HP PP Pull-Start B&S Quantum non-BBC) For years it has been burning some oil in thick grass, now it's burning oil continuously by the end of the mowing session. I have to top it off every time I gas up. It still starts and runs, but it slows in tall grass, and the smoke is not confidence inspiring. (And yes, it has been scrupulously maintained. Oil after the first five hours, and at the end of every season, new plug every two years, and StaBil always. Blade sharpened as needed.)

i could rebuild, but by the time I bought all the tools and parts, I think I'd have spent about enough money to buy a short block.

Besides this, the mower is in fine shape. (That particular generation SR had a sturdier deck vs. the SR4.) The only maintenance it currently needs is new drive wheels. The only thing that's ever been replaced is the PP cable; I've been very happy with the reliability of the mower. Still starts on the first or second pull.

So, what makes the most sense? Rebuild, a Short Block for $160, a new engine (no idea how much that is... I assume I can use any non-BBC pull-start engine with a Toro-threaded crank?), or just decide that 13 years of faithful service is enough and replace the whole thing at the end of the season?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
how about the model type and code from the engine so we have something to compare it against.

Sirwired

Forum Newbie
Threads
how about the model type and code from the engine so we have something to compare it against.

12H802-1776-B1

It takes short block 792742, and the official long block is 12J802-2369 (which I can't actually find), but I suspect that there are many other engines that will work, as long as they'll fit the appropriate Toro drive pulley and blade adapter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 126M02-1031-F1 has the same crankshaft as your engine so should bolt right up. The Briggs top 40 pricing is $185 on that engine.