I'm going to pick up two diesel grasshoppers next week. I need some info.

TimGoodman

Threads
  • / I'm going to pick up two diesel grasshoppers next week. I need some info.
I got them both home Wednesday and under a shed. There is a drain plug on the Hydraulic tank. The owner told me she wanted the 721d so that means I'm getting the 928d. I started on the 721d last night. I replaced all the rubber fuel lines and fuel filter, cleaned the fuel tank and filled with fresh diesel. I replaced a couple relays that were missing. I pulled them from the 928d and went to the auto parts store for new ones. With fresh battery in place, I hit the ignition switch and nothing. Although the glow plug system works. I jumped the starter solenoid and it spins, but is not engaging. I'll be taking it off and to the starter rebuild shop Monday.

What is the least expensive compatible hydro fluid for these machines?

Thanks
Tim

The pic is of them at my shop.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 33

bobbysr

Threads
With G2 transmissions, Mobile DTE-26 is useable. Not sure about G1 transmissions. Might want to search lawnsite.com

TimGoodman

Threads
I got to work on the 721D yesterday. Its a wiring nightmare. Melted wires, lots of electrical tape, etc... I did get the control panel to light up and the engine to turn using the ignition switch. The fuel solenoid is fried (shouldn't be a problem to bypass) and the autozone relays are fried also. If anyone knows an aftermarket part number for the correct relays that info would be very helpful. The fuel delivery system is not working properly. Its not picking up fuel from the tank. The diaphram in the pump looks ok, and when I gravity feed the system it pumps through the bypass and not the injectors.

Any knowledge or experience with the fuel system would be helpful.
Thanks
Tim

TimGoodman

Threads
Its been a while since I've posted on this project, but I haven't had lots of time for it until the last couple weeks. I've only worked with the 721d. I had to get a fuel injector pump from ebay, the old one was unrepairable according to my local injector shop. It ran good for a bit until I added water to the radiator and it immediatly filled the crank case with water due to a freeze plug behind the timing gears that popped out during the last freeze. That is a rare thing here in MS, but we had three or four days of low teen temps a couple winters back. I pulled the head and all looked good other than minor scars on the cylinder walls. Then pulled the timing cover and found the problem.

After getting it all back together a few days ago, it ran great!! The hydro motors operated and it cut nearly an acre of 1 foot tall grass. The right side seemed a little weak.
At this point, I'm feeling good about this thing, then I feel a hard thump on the right side during a hard turn and shortly thereafter it starts losing forward motion power. It dumped most of the fluid from the hard turn and thump.

There is a pea sized hole in the housing. I'm gonna pull it apart tomorrow to see if it is something I can repair. If not, I'll be needing a right side drive motor. If I can't get this thing running correctly soon, I'm gonna have some parts for sale.

TimGoodman

Threads
After pullung the right motor and cleaning it up, I found severe pitting in the aluminum housing almost looked like worm holes. All I can figure is some fertilizer got there and stayed for a couple years. I cleaned it all up with a diamond burr tool and filled the holes with epoxy.

After two days of cure time, I put it back in with fresh 15w50 mobile-1 synthetic and it ran great for a couple minutes then the left drive motor stopped all forward motion.

This thing works great if I can learn to cut in reverse or if someone needs a perfect circle cut. The right motor is working great now [no leaks!!]. The left motor is strong in reverse, just no forward motion.

I pulled it under my favorite shade tree without turning the bypass levers [30 ft]. could that have caused this problem?

I called the folks at grasshopper today and they had no easy fix for me. They just said not to go into the drive motor. I felt like the fat kid I used to be being told not to eat the candy. They also said the drive motors are no longer made for this model. He said it was a Gemini made by Eaton. {How cool is that?!!!!}

I'll update y'all when I get more done.

thehemikid

Threads
Did you get any more accomplished,... or do you have some parts for sale? :tongue:

TimGoodman

Threads
I got the engine running and cut 3 or 4 acres a couple times until it developed a hydro fluid leak. I haven't given up yet. I'm taking a break from it and getting some metal on a couple buildings here at home. There are holes in the top of one of the drive motors. JB-Weld didnt hold. I'm planning to disassemble it and have it welded up.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never had any luck with JB weld.
However I have use radiator repair epoxy ribbon for "temporary" roadside repairs in a lot of motorcycle crankcases when the brake levr punches a hole in the case.
Some of these have held for better than 20 years, just never got around to replacing the covers.

There are other products like "Lumiweld" that are easier to use than direct welding and can be used in situ.
Other than that a gas welder should also be able to add weld to the cases in situ. I am only a so-so welder but manage to do this regularly.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've just finished reading the whole thread.

I must say I am a little jealous. I love Grasshopper mowers. They are just unique. It's nice they were given to you and you can keep one.

I do hope you get both of them running fine soon. Get some more pictures of your progress!

TimGoodman

Threads
Thanks for your questions, comments, and advise. I need to get this project back up and going. A friend of mine ordered and used some of those aluminum braising rods and offered to do the repair if I bring the disassembled housing to him. He is confident it will work great in this application. Its gonna be at least 3 more weeks till I can get back on it. I will keep updating this thread as long as there is interest. I'll get some photos of the process also.