Echo SRM 225 vs Stihl FS 56 weed eater

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am still trying to decide, which is better buy for home use reliability & longevity etc ? Only about $30. more for the Stihl

Appreciate any input.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both are great units, but the Echo with the 5 year warranty wins hands down vs the Stihl with 2 year warranty.

whelch1

Threads
My local Stihl dealer doubles your warranty to 4 years if you buy a 6 pack of 2 cycle oil ($12.99). I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, I have owned both.

Threads
I use my Echo 225 commercially and love it. Can't say anything about the Stihl, as I have never used one. Let us know what you decide.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks everyone
for the input to this point. :thumbsup:

My local Stihl dealer doubles your warranty to 4 years if you buy a 6 pack of 2 cycle oil ($12.99). I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, I have owned both.

Yep, my local Dealer will do same, double warranty to 4 yrs with purchase of a 6 pack of Stihl 2 cycle oil, also. Cost of a Stihl FS 56 RC-E is $199. Which has a 27+ cc engine.

My only experience w/Echo, is my PB 250 LN blower I bought last August (which is Great !!). I wish the Echo SRM throttle/ stop switch wires were not exposed, (I'm nit picking, I guess), & reviews I read some say the debris shield should be larger.

My Dad had a Stihl chainsaw & he was very proud of that machine. Old memories. Too much thinking, my head hurts.

Threads
Thanks everyone for the input to this point. :thumbsup:

Yep, my local Dealer will do same, double warranty to 4 yrs with purchase of a 6 pack of Stihl 2 cycle oil, also. Cost of a Stihl FS 56 RC-E is $199. Which has a 27+ cc engine.

My only experience w/Echo, is my PB 250 LN blower I bought last August (which is Great !!). I wish the Echo SRM throttle/ stop switch wires were not exposed, (I'm nit picking, I guess), & reviews I read some say the debris shield should be larger.

My Dad had a Stihl chainsaw & he was very proud of that machine. Old memories. Too much thinking, my head hurts.

You can always go to the dealer hold them both and choose whichever one feels better. If it comes down to that.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good idea, but unfortunately they are different dealers. However, a neighbor/buddy has an Echo SRM 266 & a Stihl (now sure the model?), which (after our talk today) he is gonna let me try both by wacking around my place. That should give me a better idea, plus get my trimming done too. Today (in my head) the Echo is slightly ahead. We shall see.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run a Stihl FS 70 and an Echo PAS 225 commercially. I prefer the Echo machines and one of my workers does also. The other worker prefers the Stihl. He says it is more comfortable for him to run. I will say this also. I have a 266 Echo also. The power is much better and I actually prefer the 266 to the 225. We also have a 280 Echo as well. We have had problems with the 280. It is an awesome cutting machine though when it is running right. Also, I bought an FS 70 last month for $179 plus tax.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Appreciate the reply. I said my neighbor had a 266 (my bad) it is an older 265, & was one powerful unit.

There will be an adjustment for me, as I'm a "Leftie" & using the Echo let me know the muffler is there & the head spins CCW, as opposed to my curved shaft that spun CW.

I like being on the right side of a whacker, but I'm sure I'll adjust, did also seem I had to hold the engine head up pretty high using it (thus the awarenes of the hot muffler).

Where did you buy that Stihl FS 70 for $179. ?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Appreciate the reply. I said my neighbor had a 266 (my bad) it is an older 265, & was one powerful unit. There will be an adjustment for me, as I'm a "Leftie" & using the Echo let me know the muffler is there & the head spins CCW, as opposed to my curved shaft that spun CW. I like being on the right side of a whacker, but I'm sure I'll adjust, did also seem I had to hold the engine head up pretty high using it (thus the awarenes of the hot muffler). Where did you buy that Stihl FS 70 for $179. ?

I need to edit that post. $279. Sorry.

I bought it at my local John Deere Dealer for $279 plus tax. Another local shop had a new one for $310. I just choked on the price at the John Deere Dealer and they quote me $289.99 plus tax.