compaction issue on new turf

lewb

Threads
I have a new sodded lawn that went in last part of November. Came though the winter in great shape and no real issues with not taking. I have noticed that I do have a few areas that seem to yellow or have a lighter green color than the rest of the yard. Yesterday I planted a small tree and in one of those areas and I hit a hard pan 4 inches below sod. Basically the way they do the yards here in my part of Omaha NE is lay sod over clay with no top soil. The one side of the house was used for all of the construction traffic when building the house and that is where I have the compaction issue. We have been getting plenty of rain and I water as well. I have read a couple options: 1 would be to plug it with a aerator and the other is to use a drill bit and basically drill holes in those areas. My question how deep should I go and what kind of bit? I am thinking 6 or 8 inch deep with a 1/2 inch dia bit. Looking for some suggestions, thank you,

Last edited:

MowerMark

Threads
I have a new sodded lawn that went in last part of November. Came though the winter in great shape and no real issues with not taking. I have noticed that I do have a few areas that seem to yellow or have a lighter green color than the rest of the yard. Yesterday I planted a small tree and in one of those areas and I hid a hard pan 4 inches below sod. Basically the way they do the yards here in my part of Omaha NE is lay sod over clay with no top soil. The one side of the house was used for all of the construction traffic when building the house and that is where I have the compaction issue. We have been getting plenty of rain and I water as well. I have read a couple options: 1 would be to plug it with a aerator and the other is to use a drill bit and basically drill holes in those areas. My question how deep should I go and what kind of bit? I am thinking 6 or 8 inch deep with a 1/2 inch dia bit. Looking for some suggestions, thank you,

My lawns have had small compacted areas with just your description. Sometimes I dig up the area, replace with Miracle Grow grass soil with perlite, and let the Bluegrass grow in from the edges (or use new sod). Other times I use a half-inch diameter drill going down 3-4" and increase watering with topical gypsum and surfactant. Some gardeners also fill the holes with AquaSmartPro (polymer).

lewb

Threads
how close are your holes, I am thinking to do a small area to see if it makes a difference. Even a small area the neighbors are going to think I am crazy. Thanks for your reply.

MowerMark

Threads
how close are your holes, I am thinking to do a small area to see if it makes a difference. Even a small area the neighbors are going to think I am crazy. Thanks for your reply.

Don't worry. Many of us are "lawn nuts". The drill holes were placed every 2-4" and 3-4" deep using a 0.5 inch drill. Mow the lawn first or the blades will get tangled around the drill and rip part of the grass. Afterwards I allowed a hose to flow water over the area. Some people would also try to fill the holes with fine sand. I didn't. Drilling was tiring enough.

I get many neighbor compliments on my lawn. This month I used gypsum, Ironite, Milorganite (from human waste), and a surfactant.

Last edited: