Windows 10

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
10 takes up alot more HD room than 7. That's probably why certain computers run slower with it. If it were safe to do, I'd go back to using Windows 95 - 2000, so that I could easily look up browsed- sites and images and be able to run my old scanner, printer and other peripheral gadgets. Since it's nearly impossible to install the old software on a computer already corrupted by 7 through 10, unless you're a programmer, as mentioned here several times already, stretch out your wallet a little wider and just get a MAC. The extra cost eventually windfalls, when others are buying Windows software, because Microsoft discontinues support for all previous versions

ironhead3fan

Threads
Even MAC computers get outdated over time. My 2009 Macbook quit updating the O/S about 3 years ago.

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
It might depend on the model. Over here, I can get the cheapest for around 900€, locally. They go for about double that, for the expensive ones. Visually, I don't see that much of a difference, to justify the price, unless it has either gaming capabilities or guaranteed unlimited updates. While driving through Luxemburg on the way down from the Netherlands, I stopped by a sort of duty-free shop which featured Mac Books for around 1200€ which advertised unlimited updates.
The only reason as to why I want a Mac is because their products are usually predictable. You pay more than for a Microsoft product. But, you pay only once.
By the way, the new chairman of Apple seems annoying, lately. He's planning on altering Apple products for the purpose of filtering out opinions of which "he" doesen't find suitable

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The caveat for running older macs is browser updates.
No OS 9 computer can run anything higher than HTML 2.
HTML 2 is actually 4 times faster than the current version of HTML because it does not need to load miles of stuff to allow things like transparency or a colour pallet greater than the 256 web safe colours.
Macs using the RISC chipset can also only run older browsers and are limited to HTML 3 sites and can not make SSL connections any more because the encription changed last year.
So macs do go out of date.
The good thing is all of the updates are backwards compatiable so a new OS does not mean you have to go out & buy upgrades for all of your apps.
OTOH if you run linux on your mac then usually an upgrade patch for most popular apps will come on line because geeks hate being forced to upgrade to a far more complicated app with features that no one understands & even fewer actually use.

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
Getting back to topic, I looked up getting a Windows 98 OS cd with the product number, from Amazon and ebay. I was astonished as to how much demand there was for these and even for the computers running on that software, judging by the prices they were asking. The software was even just as expensive as Windows 10, in some cases. I suppose, there are users who simply refuse to renew their periphery devices of which were no longer compatible, starting with XP's programmed obsolescense campaign.
Getting back to Mac, since Steve Jobs no longer runs the company, there have been shennanigans going on which are cause for uncertainy. One being Battery Gate: https://www.barrons.com/articles/ap...ay-hurt-iphone-sales-says-barclays-1514994135
It has been also claimed that Apple has been periodically introducing I-phones, without the innovations expected from a new product. I was considering getting a MacBook or at least the hub to connect to my present keyboard, mouse and monitor. But, since reading this, I have also lost confidence in the company, as far as their stationary products are concerned

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Windows 10 question.

After a recent 'involuntary' upgrade, my system went from booting in 15 to 30 seconds to now it takes 15 MINUTES to boot.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd suspect a memory problem. How much ram do you have in that machine. Lots of newer computers seem to cheap out on memory these days. I'm sure not a fan of anything win8 and later, almost unworkable with anything other than browsing the web seems like.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I suspect a lot of these 'upgrades' are little more than information grabs from your computer to sell to marketers. My tinfoil hat is on.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd suspect a memory problem. How much ram do you have in that machine. Lots of newer computers seem to cheap out on memory these days. I'm sure not a fan of anything win8 and later, almost unworkable with anything other than browsing the web seems like.

8 GB.