Windows 10

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I'm a sucker.
Windows 10 is slower than 7 even though they claim it's faster. Start up is much slower and when you shut down, the screen shuts off within a couple seconds but the computer keeps running for several minutes. WTF? Apparently there are no programs anymore, everything is an app. Most of these connect to some online store. Many of them don't have the option to uninstall (xbox, weather, store, sports, photos, people, one drive, one note, movies & tv, maps, groove music, cortana, money, get started ...). When I first downloaded 10 I had no sound. The driver that came with 10 wasn't working I had to switch back to the left over driver from 7. Which promptly threw up a warning telling me this may cause my computer to crash, but I have sound now. Flash videos don't play for crap, I've tried updating the flash player, but it made no difference. Play back is blocky and choppy, it is not my connection. It may be the left over sound driver? 10 has already downloaded about 8 updates, and you cant shut off updates anymore. Security essentials is no longer a thing. So, we are back to paying for a virus scan. I get the distinct impression that they are trying to do away with a lot of the basic (or what used to be considered basic) user controls. Some stuff has become difficult to find, like the control panel. There is no longer a direct path to get to it. When you click the agree button not only is there that BS everybody uses now about how they can change the agreement whenever they want but you also wave your right to sue microsoft in court. Not that I plan to, but dang Every time I unplug the ac adapter I get a runtime error for atibtmon.exe. I looked it up apparently that is what dims the screen when you pull the ac plug and it was a problem with windows 8. I guess it's still a problem with windows 10.
I guess I'll let it grow on me for another a week or two, but right now my finger is hovering over the go back to windows 7 button, which is only available for a month after the download date.

I've never encountered any of those problems you're talking about but I upgraded from 8.1. Do you have a Touch Screen? What kind of memory do you have and what processor are you running? All my updates are done automatically so I don't know how many I got. The thing I do is use the CCleaner daily along with auto Optimizing daily.

The problems your talking about are problems I had or encountered when I ran the HP with windows 7. As far as the control panel goes it's not the same as the old style. You can go to your settings by clicking the windows icon in the task bar at the bottom left corner, it will have most anything you need to have.

As far as the screen going dim when you unplug the ac adapter, that has nothing to do with any window program you run, that's a power savings feature built in to the computer to save battery power. Every computer I have does the same thing, even the Nextbook does the same.

Something that you may want to check are the system requirements for windows 10 and make sure your computer will even run the 10. Just because you have windows 7 doesn't mean you have all the requirements for 10.

Last edited:

Bob E

Threads
And my computer just crashed on me for the first time while I was trying out the new edge browser.
no touch screen, 286 GB, 3 GB ram, AMD V140.
I switched it to notify me when it's installing updates. I don't like automatic, I like to know whats happening.
I never had these problems on my Toshiba until I switched from 7 to 10
The control panel has more stuff on it than the settings menu
from what I understand atibtmon.exe is the execution program that dims the screen and it is encountering an error with windows 10 that it never encountered with 7...
My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
...My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

My thoughts exactly. I'm sick to death of Microsoft and Windows, the whole never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades and problems. I want off.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
And my computer just crashed on me for the first time while I was trying out the new edge browser.
I switched it to notify me when it's installing updates. I don't like automatic, I like to know whats happening.
from what I understand atibtmon.exe is the execution program that dims the screen and it is encountering an error with windows 10 that it never encountered with 7...
My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

By the sounds my guess is that your computer doesn't meet the requirements to run Windows 10. 286 GB is a small HD and 3GB of memory isn't a lot of memory. My guess is that you are running windows 7 and you should have downloaded windows 7SP1, there latest version to run 10. People who are using the 8/8.1 aren't having the issues to my knowledge.

I think the people who are running the old XP and Vista and the early 7 by what your encountering are going to have problems if they try to download windows 10. Microsoft themselves have said they don't recommend the 10 for those OS

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
According to microsoft I meet all of the requirements and then some
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

I've had service pack 1 installed for a while btw

If you have the windows 10 upgrade go to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the window icon. then click on the file explorer and then on the left side of the page click on This PC and it will tell you how much space you have on your hard drive. Can I ask did you reserve your 10 download from Microsoft and let them check your computer for upgradeability and download it or did you do it yourself. I ask because I know they said it was available if people didn't want to wait but I couldn't find it in any of the stores.

I'd also recommend that anyone who is thinking about Windows 10 read the site/url you gave completely, it has a lot of worth while information like....

The upgradeability of a device includes factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility, and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10.

Bob E

Threads
208 GB free space. Yes this was the free upgrade through microsoft. My computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go.
Didn't you get a file explorer icon pinned to your taskbar or a this pc shortcut on your desktop?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
208 GB free space. Yes this was the free upgrade through microsoft. My computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go.
Didn't you get a file explorer icon pinned to your taskbar or a this pc shortcut on your desktop?

Yeah I got Icon and it opens the file explorer, settings, power and apps all in the Task Bar. If your computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go I don't understand why your having all the problems your having? Question.. Do you Optimize your computer regularly?

I just came back from Staples and they do have some deals on computers going. Most everything there selling has Windows 10. They have a deal on a Toshiba, it has the I7 processor 1TB hard drive and 12 GB memory for $599.99 that's without the Touch screen with the TS it's $649.99.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My thoughts exactly. I'm sick to death of Microsoft and Windows, the whole never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades and problems. I want off.

The problems people are having with windows 10 are the same as I'm having and that's understanding how to run or operate the system. It's definitely different than 7 or 8, even finding things like your control panel and what it looks like is totally different. The never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades is something that they said would be happening for a time so anyone should expect that to happen with a new operating system.

I mean really when people first got there smart phones how much different were they than the old flip phone and every series of smart phones that hit the market are more complicated than the last but once you understand how they work and how much more they do there great things to have.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Not as good as they used to be, but once you get used to everything working backwards to what you have been used to you will wonder why you ever bothered with Windoze.
I still have my first Mac ( Quadra running an o7o chip ) and use it regularly.
If possible dump all of the Microsloth stuff. Open office works a lot faster & better than Word & will read almost any document format. the lattest version actually reads my old Quark articles.