Windows 10

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are some serious privacy issues with 10.
Google it to see it can take over 1/2 hour to tur off all the bits that spy on you.
If you are on face book and signed up to a dozen loyality programs it will not be an issue as all your secrets are already out there.

The download from 7 is a massive amount of data and if you are on a budget packet with your ISP it can blow your monthly download limit.
Once 10 is downloads you can not go back to 7 or 8 if you don't like it so back up all of your applications & data before downloading as the only way to revert is to reformat the hard drive and do a reinstal.
Read the fine print very carefully, particularly the bits about what you give your complete permission for Microsloth do with the data it mines from you , your business and children.

Mechanically there appears to be very few problems but basically it is mostly formatting changes to 8

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are some serious privacy issues with 10.
Google it to see it can take over 1/2 hour to tur off all the bits that spy on you.
If you are on face book and signed up to a dozen loyality programs it will not be an issue as all your secrets are already out there.

The download from 7 is a massive amount of data and if you are on a budget packet with your ISP it can blow your monthly download limit.
Once 10 is downloads you can not go back to 7 or 8 if you don't like it so back up all of your applications & data before downloading as the only way to revert is to reformat the hard drive and do a reinstal.
Read the fine print very carefully, particularly the bits about what you give your complete permission for Microsloth do with the data it mines from you , your business and children.

Mechanically there appears to be very few problems but basically it is mostly formatting changes to 8

To begin with I don't do facebook, IMO that's garbage. I'm using windows 10 now installed it about a week ago and I love it, and I will say it's a little different. It's a 3 GB download and it took about an hour to download and depending on the system you run it could take considerably longer. It is available for XP or Vista but I wouldn't recommend it.

The thing I would recommend if you download 10 is to shut down your computer every night so that when you turn the thing on it will download any new updates automatically.

Last edited:

Homer1

Threads
There is already some links floating around showing you how to turn off most of the privacy stuff. Honestly, I don't care if people know what I do on the internet, I just hate targeted advertising, but if it's spying, it's also slowing imo.

I'm still gonna wait till the last free week before I even upgrade a single machine. Lots of code to be double checked over the next few months for various programs to operate correctly without security risks on 10.

I just got rid of xp with 7, so I'm good anyway until they drop support for 7 pro. Lol.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is already some links floating around showing you how to turn off most of the privacy stuff. Honestly, I don't care if people know what I do on the internet, I just hate targeted advertising, but if it's spying, it's also slowing imo.

I'm still gonna wait till the last free week before I even upgrade a single machine. Lots of code to be double checked over the next few months for various programs to operate correctly without security risks on 10.

I just got rid of xp with 7, so I'm good anyway until they drop support for 7 pro. Lol.

I think when you're upgrading from windows 8/8.1 your not going to have near as many problems as you would from the XP or Vista because your talking about computers and operating systems that are like 10 years old.
The problem with waiting until the last week is the same as trying to get 10 now. They put the windows 10 upgrade out in phases to manage the high demand and they make sure your computer upgrade is right for your device before it's installed. You wait until the last week you may not get the upgrade for free.

Homer1

Threads
Good point. Never thought about that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have windows 7 or 8/8.1 and down load windows 10 you can restore the previous windows if you don't like 10. Just check your control panel, under Systems and Security there's a section that gives you the option to restore your previous windows if your not happy. At this point I can say there have been no issues here with 10 and I'm extremely happy with it, it's much easier to use and it's much faster than what I was previously using.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Microsoft released Windows 10 four weeks ago today, and now the company is providing a fresh update on its upgrade figures. 14 million machines had Windows 10 installed on them within 24 hours of the operating system release last month, and that figure has now risen to 75 million in just four weeks. Microsoft has been rolling out Windows 10 in waves, as a free upgrade for Windows 8 and Windows 7 users. While it's difficult to compare exact figures between Windows 10 and Windows 8, Microsoft "sold" 40 million licenses of Windows 8 a month after its debut. It's clear the free aspect of Windows 10 is obviously driving higher adoption rates.
Microsoft's Windows marketing chief Yusuf Mehdi revealed the figure today, alongside some more interesting statistics about Windows 10. More than 90,000 unique PCs or tablet models have been upgraded to Windows 10 in 192 countries. That's nearly every country on the planet. Xbox One owners have streamed nearly 122 years of gameplay to Windows 10 PCs.
While Microsoft has been rolling out Windows 10 in waves, there are ways to avoid the wait. There's even methods to clean install Windows 10 if you want to remove the cruft of your previous version of Windows and wipe out the upgrade.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Windows 10 certainly has a long way to go before I will even think about trying it, but I'm keen to see how it progresses based on others experiences.

Personally I'm still more than satisfied with Windows Vista which I am running on my desktop PC. I have bought a laptop recently though that has Windows 7 on it, just waiting on it arriving.

Although I like to try out new technology, I'm really not that interested in actually owning it. I'll run a system that is 10 years old as long as it still serves me well.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Windows 10 certainly has a long way to go before I will even think about trying it, but I'm keen to see how it progresses based on others experiences.

Personally I'm still more than satisfied with Windows Vista which I am running on my desktop PC. I have bought a laptop recently though that has Windows 7 on it, just waiting on it arriving.

Although I like to try out new technology, I'm really not that interested in actually owning it. I'll run a system that is 10 years old as long as it still serves me well.

I really like windows 10. I just recently got this laptop and it had windows 8.1 and I like the 8.1 but it came with a free update to 10 and it was worth the wait.
I had the Vista and XP both and I can tell you that windows 10 is so far a head of them it isn't funny. It even has the 8.1 beat IMO. If your running the Vista you can't get the Free 10 update, as far as I know it's only free for 7 and 8/8.1 and only for one year from the date of its release.

The problem with computers is just like mine when I purchased it, it came with windows 8.1 but by the time I paid for it left the store and got it home it was already outdated and the 10 update was coming available in the next month.

Bob E

Threads
Well I'm a sucker.
Windows 10 is slower than 7 even though they claim it's faster. Start up is much slower and when you shut down, the screen shuts off within a couple seconds but the computer keeps running for several minutes. WTF? Apparently there are no programs anymore, everything is an app. Most of these connect to some online store. Many of them don't have the option to uninstall (xbox, weather, store, sports, photos, people, one drive, one note, movies & tv, maps, groove music, cortana, money, get started ...). When I first downloaded 10 I had no sound. The driver that came with 10 wasn't working I had to switch back to the left over driver from 7. Which promptly threw up a warning telling me this may cause my computer to crash, but I have sound now. Flash videos don't play for crap, I've tried updating the flash player, but it made no difference. Play back is blocky and choppy, it is not my connection. It may be the left over sound driver? 10 has already downloaded about 8 updates, and you cant shut off updates anymore. Security essentials is no longer a thing. So, we are back to paying for a virus scan. I get the distinct impression that they are trying to do away with a lot of the basic (or what used to be considered basic) user controls. Some stuff has become difficult to find, like the control panel. There is no longer a direct path to get to it. When you click the agree button not only is there that BS everybody uses now about how they can change the agreement whenever they want but you also wave your right to sue microsoft in court. Not that I plan to, but dang Every time I unplug the ac adapter I get a runtime error for atibtmon.exe. I looked it up apparently that is what dims the screen when you pull the ac plug and it was a problem with windows 8. I guess it's still a problem with windows 10.
I guess I'll let it grow on me for another a week or two, but right now my finger is hovering over the go back to windows 7 button, which is only available for a month after the download date.