Should my lawn get professionally aerated ? Good ? Bad ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / Should my lawn get professionally aerated ? Good ? Bad ?
My lawns have areas which are compacted soil, and some normal areas. One can detect the difference when using a humidity sensor probe or a hand/foot aerator. A professional aerator would charge only $75 to do the 1,400 sq. ft. in the front.

However, when it was done six years ago it didn't seem to help, and two years ago it seemed to cause areas of fungal infections. Difficult to believe it's anything except minimal and temporary help.

Does aeration really help ? Toying with the idea of having a professional do it again.

If done, how many holes per square foot and how deep ?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
My lawns have areas which are compacted soil, and some normal areas. One can detect the difference when using a humidity sensor probe or a hand/foot aerator. A professional aerator would charge only $75 to do the 1,400 sq. ft. in the front.

However, when it was done six years ago it didn't seem to help, and two years ago it seemed to cause areas of fungal infections. Difficult to believe it's anything except minimal and temporary help.

Does aeration really help ? Toying with the idea of having a professional do it again.

If done, how many holes per square foot and how deep ?

You have done it twice with poor results...
So, tell me why you would do it again?
Why would you expect the same thing to give different results this time?

MowerMark

Threads

You have done it twice with poor results...
So, tell me why you would do it again?
Why would you expect the same thing to give different results this time?

Because correlation doesn't mean causation, and I don't know what else to do given our drought. Most people are in favor of doing it.

Even that article posted above confuses DETHATCHING and CORE AERATION. Who can you trust ? Some articles indication spike aeration is is useless. Difficult to believe.

Five Things You Need to Know about Lawn Aeration | GreenerGreenGrass Organic Lawn Care Blog

LINK Crazy On Tap - Does lawn aeration work?

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Because correlation doesn't mean causation, and I don't know what else to do given our drought. Most people are in favor of doing it.

Even that article posted above confuses DETHATCHING and CORE AERATION. Who can you trust ? Some articles indication spike aeration is is useless. Difficult to believe.

Five Things You Need to Know about Lawn Aeration | GreenerGreenGrass Organic Lawn Care Blog

LINK Crazy On Tap - Does lawn aeration work?
This is where people most often waste their money and efforts. You cannot control the weather, the actual problem, and that's where the waste comes in.

MowerMark

Threads
This is where people most often waste their money and efforts. You cannot control the weather, the actual problem, and that's where the waste comes in.

Please explain further.