oil leak from top of deck ???

wantboost

Threads
i have 2 exact same mowers both have oil leaks. ones worse then the other i cannot tell where its coming from tho??

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have 2 exact same mowers both have oil leaks. ones worse then the other i cannot tell where its coming from tho??

clean it up the best you can, run it a few moments and then look for the leak.
I don't see how we can help you on this one.

grumpyunk

Threads
For a more exact response, it would be helpful to show the complete upper surface of the deck. FWIW.
That said, I would look at two places. The filler tube/dipstick tube likely has an O-ring at the bottom. If it got out of place on assembly, or got nicked, or was too loose, you'd get oil seeping out onto the deck.
The second place to look would be the valve spring cover if this is a flathead engine. Most have a 'flapper' valve, and a gasket, and a tube that leads to the intake manifold. If the flapper is gummed up, or the gasket compromised or the cover loose, you can get seepage from there. If there was an air leak at the dipstick tube, the engine would start pulling air into the crankcase on every exhaust/compression stroke, and trying to expel it on every intake/firing stroke. Easier to pull air in from 'somewhere', and then push oil out through the smallest spot, which may be the bottom of the valve spring box, which likely has some oil in it(appropriately so).
Check the dipstick tube bottom seal, the dipstick cap seal, and the valve spring gasket.
If you have real bad blowby, the crankcase will get pressurized and blow oil out wherever it can. You can rig a temporary manometer to see if the crankcase is over pressured using some transparent tubing, formed into a "U", filled partially with some water, and one end open, the other connected to the crankcase vent fitting. Run the engine, and see if it blows the water out of the U. (attach the tubing to a board or some stiff cardboard, and support it to keep the water in the U normally)
tom