Already thinking about leaf cleanup

Threads
I know the summer is only halfway over, but I am already thinking about fall and leaf cleanups. This year I am really going to market this service. In years past, I have made mistakes where I don't charge more for the yards I mow, but I have to spend longer there cleaning up the leaves as well as mowing. So this year I will be giving them the option of paying a bit extra, or I will just mow over the leaves (mulching them), and they will have to deal with small leaf clippings on their yard. In years past I have used the bagger on the mower to clean up the leaves and mow at the same time, but when there is a lot of leaves on the ground that becomes very inefficient. I would then use the blower, but after the pile of leaves got to a certain size I was unable to push it any further due to my blower not having enough power. So this year I will be buying an Echo backpack blower, to help me be more efficient with cleanups. I also want to get customers who just want me to do the cleanups, and not mow their yard as well, because I rarely have any of those customers. I was thinking about getting the Echo PB-500 (the tube mounted throttle model), but then this evening I was looking at my Echo catalog, and realized the 500 isn't the most "bang for my buck". The Echo PB-580 (NEW FOR 2015!) weighs the same, is not any heavier, has more features, way better blowing performance, AND IS THE SAME PRICE!! So I am going to be getting the 580 in the tube mounted throttle model. I know some people will tell me to get a Stihl BR-600, but I want an all Echo fleet. I swear by Echo, and until I have a problem, I will continue to buy Echo. Here is a comparison between the 500 and 580.

--->comparison.PNG

PB-580T_callouts.png

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 500 Echo. Also have an 802 Shindiawa. I highly recommend a larger blower than the 500 if you are going to do leaves. The 500 is too small.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 500 Echo. Also have an 802 Shindiawa. I highly recommend a larger blower than the 500 if you are going to do leaves. The 500 is too small.
We run a lot of Echo stuff. I recommend a good bit more blower. The little bit of difference will pay big dividends when you hit the field. For less than $200 more dollars you can get a 770

Threads

The 580 is a step up from the 500, and I really don't want to spend $500 on a blower when I don't have the leaf cleanup accounts as of now to justify it. I got by with a handheld blower last year, so the 580 will be many steps up from that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 580 is a step up from the 500, and I really don't want to spend $500 on a blower when I don't have the leaf cleanup accounts as of now to justify it. I got by with a handheld blower last year, so the 580 will be many steps up from that.

I know your an echo fan but I don't think I'd buy that 580 anyway because it just came out recently and it will probably still have a few bugs. I think you'll be disappointed with it anyway because it's not what you think it is. The Figures there giving you on there home page for the blower at 510 cfm and 215 mph aren't correct. I'd wait until they come out with the true figures before I'd buy it. I have know doubt it will be a step up from the 500 but it will be a tiny step at best.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yeah I bought a 500 cause I thought "it is a step up from a hand held". I have wanted to kick my own butt. $200 is what two jobs? For a machine you are going to be using for years.

Once you buy it you either got to keep using it or lose money selling/trading it for a bigger one. Course if you never run a bigger one you will think it is a beast. However if you do, you won't like it.

Threads
Yeah I bought a 500 cause I thought "it is a step up from a hand held". I have wanted to kick my own butt. $200 is what two jobs? For a machine you are going to be using for years.

Once you buy it you either got to keep using it or lose money selling/trading it for a bigger one. Course if you never run a bigger one you will think it is a beast. However if you do, you won't like it.

I understand what your saying. The thing is its going to sit in my garage from mid December until October, because a handheld is the only thing I need for blowing grass off the sidewalks, so I really don't want to spend that much for it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I understand what your saying. The thing is its going to sit in my garage from mid December until October, because a handheld is the only thing I need for blowing grass off the sidewalks, so I really don't want to spend that much for it.

You say a handheld is the only thing I need for blowing grass off the sidewalks and that's fine but what you don't realize is once you use the back pack and find out how much more efficient / faster it is you'll end up using it all the time and the handheld will be left in the garage.

Threads
You say a handheld is the only thing I need for blowing grass off the sidewalks and that's fine but what you don't realize is once you use the back pack and find out how much more efficient / faster it is you'll end up using it all the time and the handheld will be left in the garage.

Yeah I guess, but some of the yards I do I only blow off the driveway (which can fit around 4 cars), and the street in front of the house (maybe 4 car lengths). U figured it would be more of a hastle because the handheld blower you just pick it up and go.

Threads
And along with me really not wanting to spend $500 on a blower, I really don't want the extra noise or weight of the more expensive models.