Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?

packardv8

Threads
  • / Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?
My lawn is an acre, has hills, fence corners and half of it has trees/flower beds. For thirty years I mowed it with an 8hp Wards/Yard Machine rider, then the next eleven years with a Cub Cadet 2135. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Cub was nearly perfect for my application.

When the Cub went missing, I thought zero turn would be faster and give a better cut. I found a decent deal on a like-new Toro TimeCutter SS 4235. The learning curve has been much steeper than I expected, but I may just have bought the wrong machine for my layout.

There is one fenced corner which slopes downhill from both directions. I haven't found any combination of steer which will work. The Toro just flat won't turn or back up on the slope. Not sure the fence will survive another tangle.

There's another steep slope which the mower won't climb up and slides when mowing sideways. That hill required some skill on the Cub (steep enough so the rear wheels slid going down under compression) but I mowed down/across it every week.

Right now, I'm considering selling the Toro and buying another Cub Cadet.

Questions:

If I give the Toro another chance, how can should I be steering in the downhill corner?

The Toro has only two wheels on the deck and it scalps worse than the Cub which had five anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Anyone ever added a front roller and two rear wheels to the Toro deck?

If I decide to go back to the tractor style, what's the best ever made in a 36"-42" deck? I was happy with the Cub Cadet 2135 and it seemed better made than the current models. The old Kohler single shakes like a dog shittin' a peach pit, but it seemingly runs forever and 13hp was enough.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

jack vines

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Best type/make/model for 1-acre of residential lawn with hills - did I buy wrong?
If you were happy with the Cub Cadet why not get another one. Myself seeing I am on the repair side of mowers, if I was to buy a new mower it would be a Simplicity.
Seeing its going to be a big investment I would say look at different brands and get a feel for what like.

packardv8

Threads
Interesting you recommend the Simplicity, as it just floated to the top of my search and am considering it. Problem is there hasn't been a dealer here in Spokane for a while. Closest is 45 miles away in Idaho.

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
FWIW, I'm keeping the Toro for now. I've figured it's enough faster that even having to cut more with the push mower, I still get done in the same or less time.

It just pissed me off that I could mow up to the edges and corners and hills with the twenty-year-old Cub Cadet tractor and the latest-and-greatest ZT won't go there. I've sort of adjusted and will see if I can get more done within the limits of the ZT.

jack vines

jdbigjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you put tractor tires on the ztr it does a lot better on hills.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey a fellow spokanite :) I run a lawn care company out here. Big companies run Toro and exmark but for residential use can run a husqvarna personally zip down to Spokane power tool and tell them what you have they are honest and will hook you up. Avoid country homes power like the plague

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or Adams tractor for bigger stuff

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fill the rear tires with water.
I have found that any mower/ztr does better on hills then a toro.

packardv8

Threads
Every mowing I get better at coping with the problem areas, but that doesn't make it enjoyable. I've tried every approach angle and steering combination and it simply won't operate in those areas. There are a couple of slope where the Toro simply won't turn; it runs downhill and jumps into the fence like it is magnetized.

On your recommendations, I'll consider traction tires and/or filling with calcium chloride, but it's a bummer to learn the newer-supposedly-latest-greatest ZT requires major and expensive tire modifications just to operate as well as the olde stone age tractor mower.

On the plus side, the quality of cut is maybe better than the old Cub Cadet and of course, it's much faster. With the engine behind, it's subjectively quieter.

The Toro also starts instantly with no choke required in warm weather. On the CC, no matter the weather and even with a fresh tuneup, the old 13hp Kohler banger was a cold-blooded beast and required at least 15-20 seconds of choking and cranking to git 'er going.

jack vines

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Give me a call I can come give you an experienced second set of eyes 5092186943