Ferris IS2500Z

minor

Forum Newbie
Threads
When trying to crank, all I get is whirring sound. All safety switches are in working order. Believe its the starter. When I have tried to "bypass" with a screwdriver on the contacts, a hit or miss proposition. Any thoughts? Seem like an easy replace but want opinions...

Thanks..

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When trying to crank, all I get is whirring sound. All safety switches are in working order. Believe its the starter. When I have tried to "bypass" with a screwdriver on the contacts, a hit or miss proposition. Any thoughts? Seem like an easy replace but want opinions...

Thanks..

I have no idea what contacts you are using a screwdriver on but remove the starter pinion gear cover and watch the the pinion gear. Rather than just " whirring " it should engage the flywheel gear teeth. If it doesn't you possibly only need to replace or service that portion of the starter.

gainestruk

Threads
I have no idea what contacts you are using a screwdriver on but remove the starter pinion gear cover and watch the the pinion gear. Rather than just " whirring " it should engage the flywheel gear teeth. If it doesn't you possibly only need to replace or service that portion of the starter.

I agree and possibly just lube the pinion.

minor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks...anyone know where I can get an diagram or service manual for the engine?

minor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is the IS2500Z...I believe it is the Yamar (sp) diesel.

gainestruk

Threads
I don't know where you can get Yanmar service manual, hopefully someone will chime in and let you know, I wouldn't think it's to hard to take starter off, just be sure and disconect positive side of battery before you start, when you have it off make sure you can move pinion gear up, it will twist to move it up, put a little electrical grease on pinion shaft.

Look at pinion gear and flywheel gear where starter goes into engine for any damage to either one.
After you lube pinion shaft and if no damage found put it back together and see if that helped.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please remove the negative battery cable before doing electrical tests. Thank you.

minor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to everyone that responded. I am glad I found this forum!