Buying used mower for parts

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the chance to buy a used mower for cheap. It's an Exmark commercial 30" with a blown motor. It is about a year old. I was thinking about buying it for parts. They are 2300$ + tax new around here and he is selling it for 350$. The parts alone that I could salvage (wheels, spindles, belts, cables, blades, hardware, etc.) are way more expensive than 350$. Of course I will take a look at it and see in what shape it is in. I just wanted some other opinions. To me, it sounds like a steal.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have the chance to buy a used mower for cheap. It's an Exmark commercial 30" with a blown motor. It is about a year old. I was thinking about buying it for parts. They are 2300$ + tax new around here and he is selling it for 350$. The parts alone that I could salvage (wheels, spindles, belts, cables, blades, hardware, etc.) are way more expensive than 350$. Of course I will take a look at it and see in what shape it is in. I just wanted some other opinions. To me, it sounds like a steal.

If you have the space, one tyre alone will cost your more than that.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is what I was thinkinig. I will probably dissassemble it and label the parts.
Just the blades are 75$.

KrashnKraka

Threads
I have the chance to buy a used mower for cheap. It's an Exmark commercial 30" with a blown motor. It is about a year old.
[...] I just wanted some other opinions. To me, it sounds like a steal.

???.... a year old!
What "motor"(sic) an' and how "blown" is that engine?

/thinking
The unit could not possibly be proceeds of theivery,, hey?
You checkin' numbers?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has a very bad knock. The owner never changed the oil in the unit. That is how it probably developed the rod knock.

KrashnKraka

Threads
It has a very bad knock. The owner never changed the oil in the unit. That is how it probably developed the rod knock.
Ah... I see, the owner has the "guilts" and simply wants to
get shod of the problem. Yer one lucky fella ;)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would jump on it.
Put a engine on it and sell it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bad knock in about a year old mower engine doesn't normally happen from not changing oil. Running with no oil, yes.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing I am more into repairs then selling parts I would be very temped to buy it, repair it and resell the whole unit.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Seeing I am more into repairs then selling parts I would be very temped to buy it, repair it and resell the whole unit.

... mad if you don't.
You might find it is merely a bad lifter or at worse
a cotter or two gone west/south.
Easy fixed.